Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Declined Invitations

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
21 of 69

@Chris M wrote:

I assume the declined info is for the Client, not Upwork. As far as I'm concerned it's a private communication between client and freelancer - I hope Upwork isn't privvy to it.

I definitely wouldn't assume that!

I choose "other" because algorithms.

I once had a gig where the client offered $5000 as a budget. When I read the invite further, the budget was actually too low. Chose "other" because I didn't want $5k registering as "too low" since there is no way for the algorithm to know what type of work is involved with a budget that's set as too low when the actual price is higher.

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
22 of 69

This thread is just confirming my whole cynicism about Upwork. Since the tiIe i was banned for a week, and one of the reasons given was for being "consistently negative", I've really really really tried to be positive - but it's really really really hard to keep it up.

"Natasha, I have asked this issue to our Engineering team and they were able to confirm that the reason of withdrawal has been removed, or it is no longer visible on the Client's end."

This is scandalous - we're asked to tick a reason, and the client doesn't even see it!! and freelancers aren't told that this is the case.

One option I never tick is "too busy". Why? - because the supernosey interfering Upwork mad robot then changed my availability without telling me.

As usual, there are a lot of questions beimng asked on this thread; and freelancers and clients are comparing notes to try and get to the truth. Where are the moderators in a thread like this which is crying out for an official response??

Community Guru
Natacha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
23 of 69

@Stephen B wrote:

This is scandalous - we're asked to tick a reason, and the client doesn't even see it!! and freelancers aren't told that this is the case.

That is my new question via ticket, what's the point in given us all these options http://screencast.com/t/JCg7WQJ9K

Community Guru
Chris M Member Since: May 6, 2015
24 of 69

@Jennifer M wrote:

@Chris M wrote:

I assume the declined info is for the Client, not Upwork. As far as I'm concerned it's a private communication between client and freelancer - I hope Upwork isn't privvy to it.

I definitely wouldn't assume that! ...

HI Jennifer,

I did assume that the tickable options would be seen by Upwork (after I got a reminder to check my availability when I ticked 'too busy' once). But I automatically assumed my message would be private - I assume all messages between a Client and Freelancer are private.

Moderator please to confirm the message in a declined invite is private.

Community Guru
Natacha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
25 of 69

@John K wrote:

Natasha wrote, "Natasha, I have asked this issue to our Engineering team and they were able to confirm that the reason of withdrawal has been removed, or it is no longer visible on the Client's end."

Talk about a wishy-washy answer, "removed, or it is no longer visible"? Sounds like they're not sure why it's not there.

I almost always choose "Not interested in the job" (or whatever the exact phrase is), and naturally assumed clients would be so informed. Now maybe I have to add in writing, "Thank you for the invitation but I'm not interested in this job"? And do I still choose the "Not interested' option, or do I have to choose 'Other'? It would be nice if a moderator would comment about all this.

It doesn’t matter what you choose, the client will only see http://screencast.com/t/mdQDAqgA

CS:

That's correct, Natasha.

I think this is really bad, it’s helpful to know why the freelancer declined.

Joella M Member Since: Feb 29, 2016
26 of 69

I'd like to add my support in clients being able to see/understand reasons a freelancer would decline an invitation.  Some clients are new to this type of interraction and could benefit from knowing if they could improve their offers/working styles/other behavior.  This business platform, as well as the relationships formed through it, is still quite new and evolving.  Adequate and clear information about how and why we do what we do makes all of our interractions more successful. 

Ace Contributor
Marissa A Member Since: Apr 29, 2015
27 of 69

Email-fake platform? What's that?

This widget could not be displayed.
28 of 69
This widget could not be displayed.

@Marissa A wrote:

Email-fake platform? What's that?

You can find it via Google. Last year and also beginning of this year bogus clients opened accounts with fake email addresses they generated there. As some of them were not very cautious their emails could be found via Google. At the moment I cannot find much. Maybe those "clients" are more cautious now or operate from somewhere else. 

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
29 of 69

Stephen wrote, "One option I never tick is "too busy". Why? - because the supernosey interfering Upwork mad robot then changed my availability without telling me."

I did that just recently, so I'm going to check my availability right now. Thanks for the heads up.

30 of 69

@John K wrote:

Stephen wrote, "One option I never tick is "too busy". Why? - because the supernosey interfering Upwork mad robot then changed my availability without telling me."

I did that just recently, so I'm going to check my availability right now. Thanks for the heads up.

I checked the "too busy" option a few days ago. The system didn't change my availability but it did show a pop-up message saying that if I'm too busy, I should change my availability setting.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS