cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Declined Invitations

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
41 of 69

Thank you all for waiting.

I would like to confirm that the reason you select for declining an invitation, including the text you enter in the field for "Other" is not displayed to the client.

If you choose to include a message, it'll be sent to the client in the email notification. Please, see the screenshots below:

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_5.png

The client will also see this, if they check the original invitation:

Screenshot_4.png

Please, let us know if you have any additional questions.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Ace Contributor
Marissa A Member Since: Apr 29, 2015
42 of 69

Hi Valeria,

This is what I thought was happening initially anyway, but as a client it is important to me to know the reason why the freelancer declined the invitation and not just get a message that he/she declined or hope for them to leave me a personalized message. Especially now that if you use the Upwork app as a freelancer, when you decline an invitation you only select a reason and there's no option whatsoever to leave a message to the client.

It is important to me to know if they were just busy, or if the job didn't fit their skills (even if they were suggested by Upwork...), if they are just not interested or whatever reason they have. I'd like to know so that in the future I know if I should contact them again or not, or if I can reach out to them again if the price is an issue and I can be flexible.

Marissa

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
43 of 69

Perhaps when you send the invitation you could add a note asking them to indicate whether they are available to work with you in the future even if they are not available at the current time. 

Ace Contributor
Marissa A Member Since: Apr 29, 2015
44 of 69

Yes, I will have to add something asking them to send me a message even if they decline telling me directly the reason so I know.

Community Guru
Chris M Member Since: May 6, 2015
45 of 69

Hi Valeria,

Thanks for the info.

I almost always include a message and usually mention which reason I ticked, so I'm glad my explanations have been getting through to the Client.

You didn't answer - is the message private? or does Upwork read it too? and if so Why?

How are the ticked reasons used by Upwork?

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
46 of 69

@Chris M wrote:

Hi Valeria,

Thanks for the info.

I almost always include a message and usually mention which reason I ticked, so I'm glad my explanations have been getting through to the Client.

You didn't answer - is the message private? or does Upwork read it too? and if so Why?

How are the ticked reasons used by Upwork?

You're asking the wrong question. No, Upwork doesn't "read" it, but nowhere in Valeria's reply does it indicate that the reason you choose doesn't affect invites. 

Ashmi C Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
47 of 69

Thank you Valeria. I have to tell you and the rest of the Upwork team - as a new client on Upwork, this is a horrible experience. 

My company is new to Upwork (we have hired freelancers but not through Upwork, so we are not inexperienced at this). We have several projects requiring specific skills at a specific budget range. So we spent several hours making sure we identified freelancer profiles that met our skill requirements, budget requirements and availability. Then we posted jobs and invited those freelancers. Many declined. That's OK, but we have no clue why. Our descriptions are quite detailed and these are paid jobs as per ToS. So - too busy? budget not enough? They don't want to work with us because we don't have hiring experience? All of the above? Something else? Should we change our description or budget or what? Should I contact them again at a different time when they are less busy?

In the meantime we are getting lots of applications from unqualified candidates - again OK, but a waste of time.

My conclusion for all these freelancers was that if they can't communicate properly why they can't take the project, it is an indication that they won't communicate well on the project so we should not consider them. But it looks like this is not the case - from all these comments, it seems that freelancers do put in the information, but Upwork does not share it! And does not make it clear what it shares or not!

At this point new clients who don't get the types of freelancers they need will not stay engaged with your marketplace. Everyone loses. What is Upwork's plan to fix this feedback loop?

Thanks.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
48 of 69

@Ashmi C wrote:

Thank you Valeria. I have to tell you and the rest of the Upwork team - as a new client on Upwork, this is a horrible experience. 

My company is new to Upwork (we have hired freelancers but not through Upwork, so we are not inexperienced at this). We have several projects requiring specific skills at a specific budget range. So we spent several hours making sure we identified freelancer profiles that met our skill requirements, budget requirements and availability. Then we posted jobs and invited those freelancers. Many declined. That's OK, but we have no clue why. Our descriptions are quite detailed and these are paid jobs as per ToS. So - too busy? budget not enough? They don't want to work with us because we don't have hiring experience? All of the above? Something else? Should we change our description or budget or what? Should I contact them again at a different time when they are less busy?

In the meantime we are getting lots of applications from unqualified candidates - again OK, but a waste of time.

My conclusion for all these freelancers was that if they can't communicate properly why they can't take the project, it is an indication that they won't communicate well on the project so we should not consider them. But it looks like this is not the case - from all these comments, it seems that freelancers do put in the information, but Upwork does not share it! And does not make it clear what it shares or not!

At this point new clients who don't get the types of freelancers they need will not stay engaged with your marketplace. Everyone loses. What is Upwork's plan to fix this feedback loop?

Thanks.

@Ashmi C wrote:

Thanks.

lol you sound bitter that you got declined. I don't want to spend a lot of time either with invites that aren't for me for whatever reason just like I don't expect clients to spend their time explaining why they didn't pick me.

Time is money friend. If your job is not for me, I just want to decline and move on.

Joella M Member Since: Feb 29, 2016
49 of 69

Nicely stated, Ashmi. 

Ditto!

This is still a learning process. Clarity and accurate information makes this a more efficient experience for all.  Researching for the "ideal" freelancer/declining inappropriate invites is time consuming for busy, focused folk.  Clearer shared information would help this.

Community Guru
Lisa W Member Since: Nov 14, 2015
50 of 69

I appreciate the clarification, but that's unfortunate. I assumed the upper section was shared with the client and the additional section at the bottom would be reviewed by Upwork. I'm sure clients really appreciated every time I sent a blistering message about their scam job directly to them when I thought it was going to Upwork.

Ah well. It's good to know now, but maybe a little note can be added so that people who do not read the message boards will know what gets to the client and what doesn't.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS