Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Declined Invitations

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
51 of 69

Thank you Valeria, but this knowledge is only now known to a handful of people

Would it be possible for Upwork to  automatically  clarify this in a little boxed note - even a hover note over these options  to every single person on Upwork - both client and freelancer?

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
52 of 69

I have to admit that I don't quite get why people thought that the reason for declining an invite would be passed on to the client. Transparency would be so out of character.

And it actually says that the reason for declining is "private" and that UW will "send the client a polite message" or something to that effect.

Ace Contributor
Marissa A Member Since: Apr 29, 2015
53 of 69

Where does it say that the reason for declining is private?

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
54 of 69

"Please, let us know if you have any additional questions."

Yes - why is it like this?

At the very least it should be clear to all users what information they input gets seen and what doesn't, and by whom. As has been suggested above, a hover message or a ? or i sign at the very least. There's enough frustration at the moment on this site over what's provate and what's public...

Community Guru
Oreofe J Member Since: May 8, 2015
55 of 69

Marissa please confirm if you sent the Tigrinya invite to prospective contractors. I declined but I can retrace my steps to know what worked and what did not. If I remember correctly the job poster was able to get my IM about why I declined. 

Ace Contributor
Marissa A Member Since: Apr 29, 2015
56 of 69

Hi Oreofe,

I actually got the declined email from Upwork without any personal message.

Then I received in a separate email a direct message from you telling me your reasons. But this isn't common. If the freelancer writes a personalized message I usually receive it in the same email where it says the invitation was declined.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
57 of 69

Thank you all for your feedback. I will forward your suggestions about clarifying what's shared with the client and what's not to the team's attention.

Chris, that message is sent directly to the client's email and can only be accessed by the client.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Chris M Member Since: May 6, 2015
58 of 69

@Valeria K wrote:

Chris, that message is sent directly to the client's email and can only be accessed by the client.

Thanks Valeria - that's me happy : )

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
59 of 69

Hmmm. It's a pity that this whole time, clients never knew why I was declining their job posts. This is okay for spammers and scammers, but not okay for legitimate clients.

This site needs some serious rethinking as well as a major update to its help guides for freelancers & clients.

The image that Valeria posted of what's shared and not shared with the client is perfectly clear - would it be so difficult to post that same image in an offical forum thread and elsewhere on the site?

And we would have never known all this if it weren't for Marissa's original post.

**Edited to add: I don't understand why clients don't get a notification for application withdrawals, especially if you attach a message to the withdrawal. I just realized that this morning because a client kept messaging me after I had already withdrawn my application.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
60 of 69

I certainly never realized before that the reason why I was declining an offer was NOT communicated to the client.

It is good to know how this actually works, but there is no indication on that screen about how this works. It definitely looks like the reason, as indicated by which button a contrator selects, will be communicated to the client.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS