Community Member

Declined by Client

What does Declined by Client mean?

8 REPLIES 8
petra_r
Community Member

Jeffrey M wrote:

What does Declined by Client mean?

It means the client decided not to work with you on this particular project.

What's the difference between declined by client and Project Closed?

Thx for you answer

A project closed is when the opening is filled and the client already hired sufficient freelancers for the project so they close the project. Or they can also just close the project for no reason or because they gave up on the job or hired someone outside of Upwork. They then just close that's open and online.

Jeffrey M wrote:

What's the difference between declined by client and Project Closed?

Thx for you answer

If the job is still open, it means the client declined your proposal.

If a project is closed, it means either they have hired someone or just closed the project and moved on - OR Upwork closed it.

Either way, it's best to send out proposals and not think about it. In my experience on Upwork, only 2 potential clients declined my proposal, in general I only hear from clients if they want to discuss my qualifications. In the past, I would track projects/proposals - now I just move on. If the client wants to speak with/work with me they will message me.

thx

Do you have any kind of average. For how many cover letters you send out what is your hit rate. I'm new in the last few weeks. I've responded to almost 60 and have gotten three. One of the three ran out of funding before we could start I've one more that will happen everntually, I guess. I'm learning as I'm going and not responding to everything out there. Still its a lot of work and my rates are much less than my normal clients. 

Jeffrey M wrote:

thx

Do you have any kind of average. For how many cover letters you send out what is your hit rate. I'm new in the last few weeks. I've responded to almost 60 and have gotten three. One of the three ran out of funding before we could start I've one more that will happen everntually, I guess. I'm learning as I'm going and not responding to everything out there. Still its a lot of work and my rates are much less than my normal clients. 

I don't track my hit rate any more, I just know August was tumbelweeds. 

When you are starting out, the best advice I can provide (at least it worked when I was new here) is to try and be available for the ASAP jobs. A number of my first clients were urgent situations and I was available, that helped build up my reputation.

Now, the majority of my jobs are from invites or past clients, which is definitely easier than dealing with submitting proposals.

I didn't check out your profile, but for me, I keep my proposals short and sweet. I tell the client how I can solve their problem and invite further discussion. 

It can take some patience and spidey sense (about good clients) to build up your portfolio! 

Deleted dupe

Jeffrey, that's not a terrible response rate for just starting out, but it sounds like you're bidding on way too many jobs. 

It's pretty common for a newcomer eager to get started to bid on every job he thinks he can do. But, without a track record, your best chance of getting hired is to show some special qualification for or connection to the job. Consider slowing down your bidding and focusing on the jobs where you have something to offer that sets you apart from other likely bidders. 

For example, based on your profile, I would consider bypassing general design jobs in favor of those that mention sales, conversion, or brand-building in their postings. That way, you're pitching to clients who already know that they need what you specifically are selling. If the job is in an industry you're familiar with, all the better. 

I would also recommend against taking on work at rates "much less than your normal clients." You'll just build a profile that tells potential clients they don't have to pay your regular rates. Don't be misled by the fact that you'll see dozens of crap paying jobs for every good one in your feed--the good ones add up, and you can and should ignore the others.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths