🐈
» Forums » Clients » Delete and replace original funded milestone
Page options
4c4d7223
Community Member

Delete and replace original funded milestone

I've funded a $600 contract. I didn't break it into the 3 agreed-upon $200 milestones when issuing the contract, thinking I could do that after the freelancer agreed to the contract. The milestones were spelled out in the text of the agreement.

Now, when I add 3 milestones in Upwork, it doubles the cost of the contract. I want to delete the original "milestone" which is a funded $600 payment, and replace it with 3 $200 milestones. Can I do that without deleting and re-issuing the contract? If so, how?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Robert:

I'm not sure how extensive the abilities of the user-side interface are when it comes to moving milestone money around like that. You may run into limitations when it comes to re-allocating already-allocated money.

If it was me, I would communicate directly with the freelancer, and tell him:

"Craig:

I want to divide this work into 3 milestones, so that I can release payment to you as soon as the first part is done, rather than waiting until everything is done. I thought I would be able to do this after setting up the milestone, but I don't think that works. When you finish Part 1, please submit it immediately, and I'll release $200. Upwork will allow us to change $600 to $200. Then I'll set up the next milestones the right way, so that you can get paid sooner."

You will still be paid the same amount ($600) for the same work, but you'll be able to get paid sooner."

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

Robert:

I'm not sure how extensive the abilities of the user-side interface are when it comes to moving milestone money around like that. You may run into limitations when it comes to re-allocating already-allocated money.

If it was me, I would communicate directly with the freelancer, and tell him:

"Craig:

I want to divide this work into 3 milestones, so that I can release payment to you as soon as the first part is done, rather than waiting until everything is done. I thought I would be able to do this after setting up the milestone, but I don't think that works. When you finish Part 1, please submit it immediately, and I'll release $200. Upwork will allow us to change $600 to $200. Then I'll set up the next milestones the right way, so that you can get paid sooner."

You will still be paid the same amount ($600) for the same work, but you'll be able to get paid sooner."

Thanks, Preston. I see now that I can release just the first $200 payment from the "original" $600 milestone, then create 2 additional milestones of $200 that draw upon the rest of the original escrow $600.

I'm communicating with my freelancer as you've suggested. That takes care of the problem, and I'll be setting up milestones better in the future.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths