🐈
» Forums » Clients » Design Licenses
Page options
fe69da13
Community Member

Design Licenses

Hello, I'm interested in hiring designers to create product designs for me to sell. I have a few questions regarding the designs they use and who is responsible for purchasing any images that are not license free to use. Also each hired designer will be signing an NDA as well.

Any of the designs they want to give us we will purchase, however who is responsible for purchasing any of the licenses for the images? Will I need to ask them to inform me of any designs they used?

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I'm interested in hiring designers to create product designs for me to sell. I have a few questions regarding the designs they use and who is responsible for purchasing any images that are not license free to use."

That is up to you.

Upwork does not dicatate that.

But a wise client would be cautious, and take responsibility for this himself.

It is POSSIBLE for you to tell the freelancers working for you what your rules are, and tell them that they need to inform you. But what if the don't inform you? What if they use a licensed file and you get in trouble for it when you try to sell it?

Wouldn't you tell the freelancers that YOU will purchase any licensed files they need to use?

And wouldn't you also want to require the freelancers to send you all component files as well as finished files?

And then, wouldn't you want to do a Google image search on anything they send you, to make sure it isn't somebody else's work that they aren't telling you about?

If you handle this thoughtfully, then you can own the work that you commission free and clear, you can do whatever you want with it, and you can have peace of mind that you aren't using anybody else's licensed intellectual propery in a way that could cause you trouble.

kat303
Community Member

Bahaa B wrote:

Hello, I'm interested in hiring designers to create product designs for me to sell. I have a few questions regarding the designs they use and who is responsible for purchasing any images that are not license free to use. Also each hired designer will be signing an NDA as well.

Any of the designs they want to give us we will purchase, however who is responsible for purchasing any of the licenses for the images? Will I need to ask them to inform me of any designs they used?

---------------------

It would be in your best interest if YOU purchased the images. That way you would pick the images you want, and you would be responsible for payment of the images.(if any) You'll have control and would know what images have licenses and how much they would cost, And also what if any, restrictions come with those licenses. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths