🐈
» Forums » Clients » Design competitions
Page options
59fc0b5d
Community Member

Design competitions

Hi we are new to Upwork and were wondering if it's possible to run a design contest/competition relating to additions/modifications to an existing small cat toy.

Thanks

Angelo

7 REPLIES 7
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Angelino,

I can confirm that posting contests is prohibited by Upwork ToS. As outlined in article 4.1. of Terms of Use:

"The following are examples of uses that are prohibited on the Site or when using the Site Services:

• Requesting or demanding free services, including requesting Freelancers to submit work as part of the proposal process for very little or no money or posting contests in which Freelancers submit work with no or very little pay, and only the winning submission is paid the full amount;"
~ Vladimir
Upwork

Angelino:

A Forum Moderator has provided an excellent response to your question, by providing the exact section of Upwork ToS that addresses your question.

But I would like to elaborate and point out that you MAY use Upwork for a contest or competition, as long as you do so properly.

You MAY post a job posting on Upwork that asks for entries or ideas or submissions for your competition. This IS allowable as long as you pay every person who participates for their time using an hourly contract, OR use fixed-price contracts to pay every participant a specified amount of money.

If you do this, then you would not be violating any Upwork rules. You could tell participants/freelancers up front that this is a competition. Or you could refrain from telling them this. It is up to you. You could offer an additional bonus reward payment using Upwork's "Pay Bonus" tool to the winner or winners. But you are not required to do so.

Hello

Thank you for your response to my query.

I had been advised it was possible to run contests/competitions on Upwork
however upon reading the information on 'How to post a job' etc I didn't
locate any area that indicated it was an option.

Kind regards

Angelino

Hello

Thank you for your response to my query.

Kind regards

Angelino

varungs
Community Member

You can make a job with a $5 entry fee. It'll achieve a similar purpose and isn't against the ToS.

petra_r
Community Member

Varun G wrote:

You can make a job with a $5 entry fee. It'll achieve a similar purpose and isn't against the ToS.

You may want to refamiliarize (or, rather, familiarize) yourself with the terms of service.

And the meaning of the word "entry fee" whilst you're at it. (Hint - that would mean the freelancers paying the client, just as much a violation as running a contest with no or very small renumeration.)

Please do try not to advise people to do stuff that is clearly against the terms of service, namely

• posting contests in which Freelancers submit work with no or very little pay, and only the winning submission is paid the full amount;"

Contests and competitions are a great way to get ideas and work from many people. It is often far better than relying on only a single source.

So I am a strong supporter of the concept. There are other sites (whose names I won't mention here) that allow problematic forms of contests. I agree with Upwork's way for handling contests and competitions.

The TV show "Survivor" is a competition.

The winner receives $1 million.

Member of the jury receive at least $40,000.

The very first person voted out... the competitor who does the WORST out of everybody... receives between $2,500 to $3,500.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths