🐈
» Forums » Clients » Developer Dropped work at 95% Progress and St...
Page options
0823fa8c
Community Member

Developer Dropped work at 95% Progress and Stopped Replying Messages

Hi UW Community.

I´m facing the following problem. I hired a developer (**Edited for Community Guidelines**) -Top Rated- to complete an app upgrade project which was already started. I spent around 3,000 USD makign app upgrades with him. Suddenly at the very last phase before making changes Live he just stopped replying my messages. As simple as that. He is just not replyng anymore to my messages even as he shows online he is not even messaging me for anything.

Its been a while since he started making excuses of all kind (he got married, his brother is sick, vacations, etc etc) so, I´m here after probably 2-3 months of this guy playing with me, my money, my project, my time and my expectations about Upwork. I do have the work in my Git repository but work was not completed and the worst thing is the total 0 communications from his part either to tell me he cannot do the work or he doesnt want to do the work.

I ask experienced UW Clients:

- what do you guys do in this situation ? Of course I would have to go and hire another develoepr but... this totally sucks. I will have to spend hours for next guy to get to to speed.

I ask Upwork Staff
- How can we punish this behavior ? This is totally unprofessional and makes Upwork looks not as serious as it is supposed to be.

I have worked multiple projects in UW and this is not the second time this happens to me. Total waste of my time and money.

Appreciate only well intentioned responses.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

juan l wrote:

- what do you guys do in this situation

1. Close the contract and leave appropriate feedback

2. Hire someone else to finish the work.

AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Juan,

I'm sorry to hear about what happened. One of our team members already reached out to you directly to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
kinector
Community Member

If the work was agreed upon but not finished by the freelancer and the person keeps ignoring you, just close the project as Petra said.

Rejoice, you just got stuff done for free!

Hire someone else to finish the job and be sure to let the next freelancer examine the source code before starting. If it is complete spaghetti, nobody good wants to take it over and will ask to get to start from scratch. But it doesn't matter so much since you got your money back. The only thing you lost is time, actually.

There are plenty of tips on this forum on how to hire good freelancers. Unfortunately, the really good ones who guarantee their clients' success are not cheap.

What major development project has 100% of the work completed by a single individual?

I suppose that happens some times, but that should not be any project owner's goal.

petra_r
Community Member

Mikko R wrote:
Rejoice, you just got stuff done for free!

I wouldn't call $3000 "for free"....

Latest Articles
Learning Paths