🐈
» Forums » Clients » Did not file a dispute in time
Page options
f9b5fa54
Community Member

Did not file a dispute in time

Are remediation for this situation?

Instead of filing a dispute, I trusted the freelancer I hired to do as he said he would - refund 6 of the 10 hours he charged for. He way overbilled for the few tasks he did complete and I am going to have to hire someone else to fix what he did.  One of those 'Here are 5 items that are still wrong'...and then he fixes one and says 'all done'. I eventually just gave up on him.  Wasting too much of my time and patience.

His work log appears to be a sham with just 10 hours in a row added to it on a Sunday night - even though we were going back and forth on it for two weeks prior. 

It's in our messages where he promised to do the refund.  Anything I can do? I've contacted him about it twice and he just says he'll do it. 

8 REPLIES 8
petra_r
Community Member

You can dispute last week's hours, anything earlier, no.

But if the freelancer promised to refund or remove the hours try contacting Support with proof, they may be willing to lean on the freelancer a bit...

bobafett999
Community Member

@Scott H:  I am sure some one from Upwork will tell you official answers.

I feel for you and I feel for every freelancer that is also cheated on this platform.  But that is the downside of hiring/working for anyone way far far away. 

You may have better luck getting your money - decks are stacked in your favor.  But still I would say if you hired someone at a bargain basement price you got what you paid for.  The way we freelancers do with cheating clients "We Move On".

And it could not be too much money - 5-6 hrs of work.  A high rate charging freelancer would not do that.  These things generally happen with the freelancers quoting and working for bargain basement rate.

One of the greatest techniques any client or boss can use for saving time and increasing profitability is to pay people for work they can't use, and then forget about it.

Trying to treat employees and contracts "fairly" (meaning: trying to make sure nobody is over-paid or paid for poor-quality work) wastes my valuable time as a client and businessperson.

@Preston H wrote:

Trying to treat employees and contracts "fairly" (meaning: trying to make sure nobody is over-paid .....wastes my valuable time as a client and businessperson.

Preston: does this mean that don't hire anyone based on price alone?

Prashant, please stop the victim blaming. Not every client who got *beeped over* was paying bargain basement prices. Some pay hourly rates in excess of $ 100 an hour.

Ethics, honour and decency are not connected to hourly rate.

@Petra R wrote:

Ethics, honour and decency are not connected to hourly rate.

In general they are....

Thank you. I did figure out how to contact support and sent them screen shots of his promise to refund. 

He was actully about mid-point as far as pricing. I work straight commission as well so I know what you get when you hire the bottom. But it's still an overcharge of about $250. Worth fighting for.  Especailly when promised that it would be rectified. No fight on his part, just 'I'll refund 6 hours'.

nkocendova
Community Member

Hi Scott,

I see that you have an open ticket with us and one of our agents will be reaching out very shortly to assist you further with this matter via the ticket. 

~Nina
Latest Articles
Learning Paths