🐈
» Forums » Clients » Direct Contract Disaster
Page options
4ae84088
Community Member

Direct Contract Disaster

I recently took on a freelancer who seemed brilliant and as I was in a hurry I let him convince me to do a direct contract - he said it was all perfectly fine as it was one of his perks as a rising star. Now I realise it was not fine at all and am waiting for (hopefully) a refund and feel like I have been taken for a fool. Does anyone have any experience of something like this? 

14 REPLIES 14
prestonhunter
Community Member

The "direct contract" feature is VERY new.

I feel like most established Upwork users don't know much about it yet, and I feel like there are still some technical, process, and cultural details to be worked out.

At the present time, I recommend that "direct contracts" be used cautiously, only by experienced Upwork users, only in situations where the client knows and trusts the freelancer, and only with money that the client can afford to lose.

Sally:
How much money did you pay to this freelancer?

What is the reason that you are interested in receiving a refund?

AndreaG

Hi Sally,

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience while hiring this freelancer. Generally, Direct Contracts offer protection if things go wrong, you can request to cancel and get your funds returned back to you. You’ll also get dispute assistance should a problem arise. Please note however, that the feature is designed for situations where the freelancer has an Upwork account and the client does not. If both the freelancer and the client have accounts on Upwork they should be using regular contracts to collaborate and make payments. 

I can see you already have a support ticket with our team and they are assisting you with this. Please allow some time for our team to review and they will update you directly via ticket as soon as possible.

~Andrea
Upwork
yitwail
Community Member

Andrea G wrote:

Please note however, that the feature is designed for situations where the freelancer has an Upwork account and the client does not. If both the freelancer and the client have accounts on Upwork they should be using regular contracts to collaborate and make payments. 

Andrea, should be using regular contracts is not the same as must use regular contracts. This article, https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025040794-Direct-Contracts-with-Clients,  states 

• Can only be used with clients who do not have an Upwork account

So do direct contracts operate under the honor system?

I don't know whether I'm coming or going now. The freelancer has sent another direct contract after "checking with upwork" and didnt know the first one was cancelled. Upwork told me the freelancer had cancelled it. And I'm not any wiser on the direct contract rules? As I was a client - the freelancer picked up my project- bidded then tried to be paid through DC I assume that's disallowed? It's clear as mud.

Hi Sally,

It looks like the team has already shared with you more information on your ticket and they have also provided an update on the status of your request to have it cancelled. Please check your ticket by going here

~ Joanne
Upwork
4ae84088
Community Member

Joanne 

they actually haven't - as this is happening right now.

4ae84088
Community Member

Joanne 

they actually haven't - as this is happening right now. Can you actually help? This is where your link sent me....428918C2-A5A2-4778-915B-DCA312761D8C.png

I have sorted this out with the freelancer and we are going to put the contract though upwork.

Hi Sally,

I'm sorry that you are having trouble accessing the ticket. Could you please try checking the email address associated with your account? I just checked, and it looks like you have responded to the ticket. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
4ae84088
Community Member

The link you sent was broken Joanne? Never mind, it's all dealt with now anyway. The freelancer gets his money, you get your fees. 

Sally S wrote:
I have sorted this out with the freelancer and we are going to put the contract though upwork.

The only reason for a freelancer to suggest moving to a direct contract is to get out of paying Upwork their commission. Are you sure that you still want to work with a freelancer who's dishonest?

No I didn't want to work with them but they were very pushy and Upwork didn't help so in the end I just gave in. Now I'm getting and paying for two versions of the same project 🙈

Sally S wrote:

No I didn't want to work with them but they were very pushy and Upwork didn't help so in the end I just gave in. Now I'm getting and paying for two versions of the same project 🙈

You have the option to block freelancers and report them if they cross the line. You could just cancel the contract and block the freelancer or offer $5 for the trouble the freelancer caused you. This is well within the ToS until the freelancer has send you the work and requested the payment to be released.

I'm too soft Jennifer, 

I got the work today which is awful and paid them $400 for it. He went on about being "screwed" without the money etc. I'm going to just try and put it behind me now. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths