cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dispute - Fixed-Price Contract, 0% delivered, freelancer wants payment for their time?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
11 of 40

@Chen Fong G wrote:

Sorry, I have a similar problem to this opening poster so I was reading this thread, but Jennifer M I find your post really amusing.

Yup, we've hired people whose entire family 'died' in the course of 1 month. Eventually the claims got too outrageous. I can accept 1 family member dying and another being rushed to hospital for an unrelated issue within the same month, but when you multiply the odds of everything happening (6 family members going down for various reasons) it becomes a one in an octillion event. You're more likely to win that $1.6 billion Powerball lottery.

Your point is well taken and I agree that a lot of these excuses are likely fabricated. But, the Powerball situation does happen (and it's nothing at all like winning the lottery).

Last December, I had a serious bronchial flu, broke a tooth and needed an emergency root canal, my younger daughter was in a fairly serious car accident out of town and since the car was in my name they wouldn't release it to her and I had to go get it, my older daughter (who had an infant daughter and four other kids) had surgery and my DOG had a bizarre medical problem that required me to take him out of town for a $2,300 blood transfusion... all in the space of 3 weeks. 

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
12 of 40

Hi Richard,

Please, refer to the message a dispute agent sent to you today. You should find more details and timeline there.

Thank you for your patience.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
13 of 40

Hi Richard,

I am sorry you haven't been satisfied with freelancer's performance and the product he delivered so far. Our dispute team is reviewing the information you have provided and I will additionally follow up with them about your case.

They will update you via the open ticket as soon as possible.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Richard M Member Since: Jun 1, 2016
14 of 40

Hi Valeria,

Thanks for the quick reply, we appreciate you looking into this for us.

Regards

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
15 of 40

re: "After 5 days into the project the freelancer asks if they can set milestones, as they need money to fix their car."

Ugh.

Richard, this is in no way the kind of freelancer that Upwork wants on their site.

Sorry to hear about these ridiculous experiences you reported.

In the future, you will recognize these warning signs.

Fixing their car? What does their car have to do with your business? Obviously nothing.

You can just close the contract on a freelancer who is being so ridiculous. You don't owe them anything.

The next time you work with a contractor, if they mention their car, then that probably means it's time to close the contract and continue working with other people.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
16 of 40

Just general advice:

You really shouldn't be hiring only one person for a project of this scope.

You should work with your project manage to hire multiple developers to do small pieces of the project.

Some of them will totally flake out on you. Some of them will deliver work, but are slow and expensive. Some of them will deliver shoddy work. Some of them will deliver fantastic work and save you a lot of money.

If you only hire one person, how are you supposed to choose the best person to continue working with?

You need to hire multiple people, pay each of them small amounts of money to do small amounts of work, and then continue working only with the best people.

Hiring only one person is often a very expensive mistake.

Highlighted
Richard M Member Since: Jun 1, 2016
17 of 40

Hi Preston,

Thanks for your advice.

From the experience we've had so far, the positive we can take away from this, is the massive learning curve we've had to endure.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
18 of 40

Wow, I'm actually surprised that this contractor had the nerve to push the dispute button. They must have been relatively optimistic that the client might cave in.

Highlighted
joram K Member Since: Jun 3, 2016
19 of 40

From my expirience here,i can bet you will not be getting your refund.I have had a similar proble with a refund and all i get is toss and turn at every momet i ask for help from customer service.Yesterday i did post my disappointment  here but looks like it has been deleted.Am sure this will be deleted too.....

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
20 of 40

Hi Joram,

I see this is your first Community post, and you haven't posted in the forums before.

I also see our dedicated team informed you about your Escrow refund enquiry but will update your ticket once again, following your latest chat conversation with our Customer Support team. Please avoid creating new tickets and communicate only through the main ticket if you have any additional questions.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS