cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute: What happens if I select "leave comment (and dispute will remain open)"?

Highlighted
John H Member Since: Oct 13, 2017
11 of 13

I provided what the OG asked for.  It's not cynical to explain that Upworks mitigation might as well be a robot relaying messages back and forth and really offers no useful actual mitigation. I think its helpful to know that you are not protected.  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
12 of 13

I completely understand it if some clients who are relatively new to using Upwork see some of the advertising, some of the promotional materials, etc., and then maybe just skim some of the literature on the site about disputes and protection, etc... and think that they are protected.

So I understand the confusion and frustration that some clients feel when they try to use the "protection."

It is not "protection" in the same sense that a client might have experienced when they bought an electric drill from the hardware store, found that it didn't work, and then returned it for a refund or exchanged it for a new one.

Unfortunately, that concept is what some clients have in their minds when they use Upwork, and hiring freelancers here simply is NOT like that.

I have hired over 70 freelancers. I find Upwork to be an immensely useful tool.

But I do NOT expect any kind of money-back guarantees when I hire freelancers and I would never use the dispute process for any reason. No matter what a freelancer does. I understand the dispute process and how it works and what its limitations are. There is simply no scenario in which filing a dispute against a freelancer would be worth my time, money or effort.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
13 of 13

@John H wrote:

I provided what the OG asked for.  It's not cynical to explain that Upworks mitigation might as well be a robot relaying messages back and forth and really offers no useful actual mitigation. I think its helpful to know that you are not protected.  

It's helpful to know that the dispute process does not involve someone from Upwork making a decision. It's much MORE helpful to also know what the dispute process IS for, and about the option of arbitration and how it works....and, in this situation, to know that if the freelancer doesn't proceed to arbitration and the parties don't agree, OP will automatically get his money back.

It kind of seemed like you left out all the useful bits.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS