🐈
» Forums » Clients » Dispute only goes back to this week
Page options
f807ec31
Community Member

Dispute only goes back to this week

I opened a contract of 5/6.

The guy billed me on 5/11 and things seemed OK but there were a few errors so he fixed them during the week leading up to the 18th, when I was billed again.

When I took a much closer look, the errors remained and things were literally back to where they were when I started.

I formally requested a refund on the 21st.  The refund was annoying as I could only claim $100 for the refund instead of the $183.33 which I wanted.

He ignored the refund request so I formally opened a dispute on the 25th.  On the dispute, it says I can only dispute the latest charge of the $23.33 which is outrageous.

I can even prove that his work wasn’t done as I told him numerous times in the UpWork messages section.

My question is: how can I get all of my money back?

***Billing Summary***

May 25 - 1:10 hrs @ $20.00/hr - $23.33

May 18 - 5:00 hrs @ $20.00/hr - $100.00

May 11 - 4:10 hrs @ $20.00/hr - $83.33

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

Dispute mentality is holding you back.

Here is what you should do now in order to succeed:

- Look forward, not backwards

- Decide that you will never try to use disputes again; they cost you money and waste your time

- Regularly evaluate the work that freelancers submit to you

- Don't try to work with only one freelancer

- Stop working with underperforming freelancers

- Don't try to train freelancers. Instead, hire freelancers who are able to do the work that you want done.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jim,

I checked and I see that your case has already been escalated to our team. They will reach out to you with more information as soon as possible.

Thanks so much for your patience.

~ Bojan
Upwork
f807ec31
Community Member

Thanks, Bojan.

He refunded me the $23 but I want to claw back the $183.33 from earlier which he took.

Or, even the $100 week instead of the $23. Is it possible to dispute earlier weeks other than just the latest one?

re: "He refunded me the $23"

That is correct.

re: "...but I want to claw back the $183.33 from earlier which he took."

It is not Upwork's intention that you do that.

re: "Or, even the $100 week instead of the $23."

It is not Upwork's intention that you do that.

re: "Is it possible to dispute earlier weeks other than just the latest one?"

No.

It is Upwork's intention that hourly work is disputed within five days after the work week ends.

But you DO have many options.

You can ask the freelancer to refund more money.

You can decide to NOT continue working with a freelancer whose work disappoints you.

In the future, you can review work submitted by freelancers within five days after the work week ends.

You may read more about this topic here:

Dispute an Agency or Freelancer’s Hours

This helpful page includes information such as:

"Keep in mind that timing is critical here — you must file any dispute during the five days after the billing period closes. For example, freelancers must submit their hours for the prior week to you by Sunday at midnight UTC. You then have from Monday at noon UTC until Friday at midnight UTC to review those hours and file a dispute, if needed."

Preston,

Thanks for your feedback.

UpWork,

Please let me know what my options are.

Thank you!

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

I apologize for the delay in receiving an update, Jim. I'll go ahead and follow up with the team handling your case and you can expect one of our agents to reach out to you directly via support ticket as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths