Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute with Freelancer

001d1d11
Donowan A Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
1 of 5

Hi Team,

Currently working with a freelancer on a fixed price of $500. After 2 weeks of no work done for the freelancer and constantly in communication with him we have decided to cancel the contract since freelancer is not meeting the deadlines nor doing the job asked before. How can I proceed to be able to be refunded. 

So far I have sent $100 first and I still have the $400 in remaining. Will this mean that the $400 will be back to y account? 

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 5

If you close the contract now, the remaining $400 will be refunded to you, guaranteed. It may take a few days but you will receive it.

Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
BEST ANSWER
3 of 5

I would hesitate to say "guaranteed" without a bit more clarification. If you have money in escrow and the freelancer has not submitted anything for the milestone, if you close the contract the freelancer will be asked to approve the refund request for the funds in escrow. They do have an opportunity to dispute the request. Hopefully they won't dispute if they haven't delivered anything, but its possible they will and then you would go to mediation with Upwork.

View solution in original post

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
4 of 5

If you have already paid the freelancer the first $100, then you should ask the freelancer to refund this as well. And I would really insist on it, as well as giving appropriate feedback when you close the contract. 

It really annoys me that some freelancers take on jobs that they are incapable of executing, or delivering in the time agreed. It puts all other genuine freelancers in such a bad light.  

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
5 of 5

Hi Donowan, 

To add to what Jennifer has shared, you may want to check out this help article on how you can get a refund on a fixed-price contract with an amount in escrow. 

~ Avery
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS