🐈
» Forums » Clients » Dispute
Page options
b6208395
Community Member

Dispute

Hi, have been working with a freelancer i filed a dispute because i get charged without her meeting the milestones and this project was suppose to take a month its more than a month, have been talking to Up-work support, i don't want to work with her anymore have asked her to provide the source code because i don't have it. Do i start from scratch by getting a new freelancer or wait for her to respond?

14 REPLIES 14
petra_r
Community Member

hourly contract or fixed rate?

b6208395
Community Member

hourly and i was never late in paying her always exuses from her it just got frustrating, we never communicate only through text which could smetimes be time consuming i get thats my fault for picking her because she doesn't speak english but understands when i type.

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Austin,

I can see that you're already communicating with our team about this and our team will answer all of your questions on your ticket. Unfortunately since private details are involved we can't discuss them publicly in the Community. Regarding your last question, I can advise you to wait for a couple of days for your freelancer to respond back to you. If you need further help let me know, thank you!

~ Goran
Upwork

what if she doesn't respond do i go ahead starting from scratch by getting a new developer? because whenever i reach out to the support i'm talking to different support staffs i have to explain my issues from the begining which is sometimes annoying.. i just want to know if i ahve to go ahead by getting a new freelancer? this is my fisrt time using upwork its sad. 

Hi Austin,

Our team has already merged everything in one ticket and soon will reach out to you and assist you further. Thank you!

~ Goran
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

Why would you file a dispute?

That makes no sense. Just stop working with that freelancer and work only with freelancers who will deliver the work that you want.

You can stop working with any freelancer at any time. You do not need to file a dispute to end a contract.

i filed a dispute about the payment because i was been charged without getting any good feedback on the milestones we agreed on.

petra_r
Community Member

When you hire on an hourly basis you pay for hours logged, NOT the result of the work performed.

If the freelancer logged and tracked her hours properly there are no grounds for a dispute.

If the freelancer used the tracker correctly, the dispute would be a waste of your time.

b6208395
Community Member

like i said before i only disputed it like disputed it because i didn't get any feedback on what she has done, i just couldn't pay for milestones i wasn't seeing.

@austin k wrote:

like i said before i only disputed it like disputed it because i didn't get any feedback on what she has done, i just couldn't pay for milestones i wasn't seeing.

There is no such thing as a milestone on an hourly contract. If you were paying hourly, then you had from Mon-Fri every week to review the work that was done the previous week. If you did not challenge the work during that review period, then the freelancer was automatically paid the following Wednesday. If the FL used the desktop tracker properly and you failed to challenge the hours during the review period, then you don't have much of a leg to stand on. If the FL logged her hours manually, you are in a better position to claw back some money. (HOWEVER, as the client it was your responsibility to review the work each week, and if it wasn't acceptable, speak up then.)

Filing a dispute is not what clients or freelances do when "something happens that we are not happy about."

The "dispute" process and filing a dispute are used in very specific, very rate circumstances.

The tool that the original poster needs is the button to "close" or "cancel" the contract.

Austin:  It is entirely possible that your freelancer is a scammer.

But let me ask you few questions.  Answer it on your own and see if Preston's advise makes sense.

1. Did you hire based on price?

2. Did you believe that Upwork and Freelancers are vending machines or Walmart?  You pay and get exactly what you want.

3.  Were you ready to accept the downside of hiring a total stranger?

4. You came to Upwork to look for a bargain.  But that also has a risk associated with it.  Were you ready to lose your money if things didn't work out?

5. What would you do in real life?  You hire an employee.  They don't work out.  What do you do?

a. Fire them.

b. Fire them and ask them to pay you back.

c Train them

Preston is suggesting you do a, but seems you want to do b

There is nothing wrong with getting a great deal on Upwork.

I have hired many freelancers and been amazed at the high quality work they provided me with for an excellent price.

But as a client, I know that I need to monitor the work a freelancer does, especially if they're a new person I haven't worked with before.

Monitor the most early on. Less as time goes on and you know what they are producing.

I look at real files and real work turned in by the freelancer, not just screenshots in the work diary.

If a freelancer isn't producing what I need, or if I'm simply not satisfied with their work compared to other people on the team, then I quickly thank them for their work and close the contract.

@Preston H wrote:

1. There is nothing wrong with getting a great deal on Upwork.

2. But as a client, I know that I need to monitor the work a freelancer does, especially if they're a new person I haven't worked with before.

3. Monitor the most early on. Less as time goes on and you know what they are producing.

4. If a freelancer isn't producing what I need, or if I'm simply not satisfied with their work compared to other people on the team, then I quickly thank them for their work and close the contract.

1. agree.  But also be ready to get a lemon.

2. agree

3. true.

4. agree. Fire and move on.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths