🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Dissatisfied with freelancer
Page options
a1828027
Community Member

Dissatisfied with freelancer

I had a simple job of looking at my website on Square Space and making me a new one on Shopify. The person I hired said this would be easy and I hired them. They did a horrible job of duplicating the look of my website. They basically copied my product pictures and put words to it. The website they created could have been done by my 10 year old daughter. 

What are my options in paying them they fee they requested. They lied to me about their skills. I'm very dissappointed with the work. This was not cheap.

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

There are options for seeking a refund. Successful, effective clients don't plan to use those options, but instead manage their projects proactively.

It is better to fire a freelancer whose work does not fit your needs rather than let that freelancer log time producing work you can't use.

Hopefully that will help you as you move forward. Honestly, the best thing you could do for your project would be to look forward rather than continuing to spend time on underperforming freelancers. But if you want to focus on trying to get some money back from this past work, you can read this:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062088-Request-a-Refund

I also agree with you.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Carla,

I'm sorry to hear you've had issues with a freelancer you've been communicating with. In general, in order to be able to pay the freelancer, you'll need to have an active contract in place with that freelancer. Which means that you need to send an offer to them that they would then accept. Please check out this help article for more information about that. If you have a contract with a freelancer, paid them and they didn't deliver work as agreed, you'll have options to request a refund as Preston already pointed out in his post.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
polinapu
Community Member

What if the freelancer doesn't want to refund you?

Hi Polina,

If a freelancer rejects a refund request, you are still able to file a dispute. Please note, it is important that you file a dispute by Friday after a billing week closes. You can read more about how to Request a Refund here and Dispute a Freelancer's Hours here

If you need any further assistance please let us know so we can help you or forward this to the team that can,

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
31b09f31
Community Member

Hi. If I win on an arbitration, do I still lose c.a. 250 usd, regardless of the 100 usd I save by proving that I was right? thx..

re: "If I win on an arbitration, do I still lose c.a. 250 usd, regardless of the 100 usd I save by proving that I was right?"

No.

You lose $291.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths