🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Do Employers Interview via a Skype link?
Page options
a02959c2
Community Member

Do Employers Interview via a Skype link?

I just received an interview request after submitting a proposal. The employer told me to setup an interview with HR through a Skype link she provided. I'm pretty new to Upwork, so I don't know if this is a common practice or a red flag that the job is a scam. Also, I saw that the employer has been a member here for about a week, and the payment method is not verified. I'm a bit suspicious of this, but since I can't seem to find a way to directly email Upwork and ask them, I'd like to ask all of you who have been doing this for a while. Is this common, or is it a red flag for a job scam?

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

That's not allowed.

You could be suspended if you are caught doing that.
And it's probably just a scammer.

cassajoy
Community Member

You've come to the right place to ask the question. You'll find many other similar posts on the forums that may help. But, you have to know the Terms of Service. We are on Upwork and so the interview process and payment stay on Upwork. Scammers like to go after new freelancers.

Any mention of HR or some other fancy-titled person is a red flag. Same with Skype, Telegram, etc., or my favorite: 'follow this link to be interviewed immediately'. I told them I can be interviewed immediately here on Upwork.

How do I report someone for attempting to set up a Skype at first contact? 

Hi Jana,

We would truly appreciate you letting us know if you find anything suspicious has happened while utilizing the platform. You may use the "Flag as Inappropriate" option throughout the platform, and you can learn more about that here.

~ Arjay
Upwork
martina_plaschka
Community Member

1. They are not employers. They are clients. 

2. They are scammers. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths