cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to respond to Freelancers I've decided not to hire?

Highlighted
Gayle N Member Since: Sep 30, 2015
1 of 8

Hi, this is a question about how to handle the freelancers that responded to my job but that I decided not to hire.  Should I contact them or will they see that the job is being done by someone else?  Thanks for your help.

Elena I Member Since: Sep 28, 2015
2 of 8

Hi!

As a freelancer, I feel misguided when I see that I have an active candidacy (being interviewed) for weeks in a row and then I check the job to see what happened and I see that someone else is hired. The best is to politely notify the freelancer that someone else was chosen and end his candidacy if that works.

Good luck!

Ace Contributor
Vitalij R Member Since: Nov 11, 2014
3 of 8

Completely agree with this sentence as freelancer, but one additional thing:

I mean if client personally invites 10 freelancers to job, then decides to work with only one, other 9 must be at last notified about it.

Sincerely, Vitalij - Top Rated brochure designer.
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
4 of 8

Gayle, just tick the box that says "Close this job post if X (X being the freelancer you decide to hire and are sending an offer to) accepts this offer" when sending an offer to your chosen freelancer(s).

That way all other applicants are notified that their application was, on this occasion, unsuccessful because you hired someone else.

You can also end the job posting manually which will also inform the applicants.

When I post a job I decline all the "No way" freelancers immediately, and only kep a few shortlisted applications active, and I always close the job posting when I have hired. It's only fair on the freelancers to know where they are.

5 of 8

Thank you.  That's really helpful.  I wanted to be polite but wasn't quite sure how to go about it.

6 of 8

Sorry to ask again - but where will I find the box to tick to close the job?  Thanks for your help

7 of 8

It's ok - found it!

Ace Contributor
Victor D Member Since: Oct 6, 2015
8 of 8

I feel compelled to advise (as a new client) that for the most part Upwork are automatically inviting people to interview before I've even had a chance to shortlist...

Furthermore the matching algorithms are "inviting" freelancers who are for the most part not anywhere near close to those I would consider inviting myself.

Given that level of mismatch and with an inbox full of "invited" applicants, I'm afraid that I for one do not have time to respond to all.

Best of luck,

V

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS