cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do clients actually read the feedback when you decline a job?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
1 of 8
Sometimes I think it would be helpful for the client to know why I am not accepting the interview. For example, if they are hiring for the wrong job or there is a problem with their business strategy. I'm not going to bother to say anything if the client isn't going to read it. (I'm not referring to clients whose strategy is paying the cheapest rates possible. I mean clients who seem like they might be good clients but are just a little confused.)
Highlighted
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
2 of 8
I read such feedbacks and send a reply. One time a lady declined my invitation because she feels she's not be a good fit. I read her message and sent her a thank you note. I also bookmarked her profile because I liked her professionalism. The next time I contacted her with the right job, she accepted it, we had a contract and she delivered the job well. So kudos to people who send a message when they decline a job interview or a job offer. Its what professionals ought to do.

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Highlighted
Gabriele D Member Since: Jan 31, 2014
3 of 8
I don't know what the other side looks like, but how do you select who to send an invitation to? Do clients actually look at the profiles or just type in an search criteria and send it out to everyone who pops up?
Highlighted
Oluwakemi B Member Since: Mar 26, 2013
4 of 8
No, I don't think they send the invites to everyone, though my invites has decreased for some time but I was having this problem before when I never have an invite. Went on chat support to ask for the requirements to invitation, they told me the clients search due to their want, then they send out the invite. But what I observe was that if that was the case my name should be coming up on the search like others which does not, because most of the invites are on the same level I am in. I guess after the chat they looked into it and a week later I start having invites. So my point is, most people name does not exist on that search, my name was on page twenty something before and I know there is no way a client can look through that page when there are good ones on page 1,2 and 3. I am not saying there are no freelancers that have more experience than me on odesk but I want my name to come up when they are looking for freelancers in my category. So maybe try my method, I am not promising it would work though but it does for me.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
5 of 8
I can't speak for other people but what I do is to search for contractors by skill, click on profile, read what past jobs they did and what other clients say about them. Sometimes I click on past jobs to see what exactly they did. I also check recent applications.

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Highlighted
Rebecca H Member Since: Aug 27, 2008
6 of 8
When I hire, I have very specific skills and experience in mind, so I look carefully through the portfolios and job history. I usually send invitations to a few candidates who look perfect, and if that doesn't work out I'll open the job to other applicants. I would always prefer to interview a few invited candidates rather than sifting through dozens of applications, many from people who are not at all qualified. Last time, I sent only one invitation and the candidate just responded with "not interested." I was sorry about that because I can't tell whether he was too busy, preferred a different size of job, didn't care to work for our company, or what. More information would have allowed me to offer him other jobs in the future, or to know that he didn't want them. I'd say -- if you have any interest in working with the client in future, explain why the current invitation is not a good fit.
Highlighted
Gabriele D Member Since: Jan 31, 2014
7 of 8
Thanks, it seems many clients actually look at the profile before they send out an invitation, so next time I will take the time to explain if I am not interested. The first few months on here I had no invitations and recently its about three per day. I have to admit I did make a sarcastic comment to one client asking me to basically work a week for $10, which I regret, its not professional, but then.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
8 of 8
Good to know. Thanks.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS