cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Do clients know upwork takes 20% from freelancer earnings?

Highlighted
Community Leader
Gary Val T Member Since: Mar 28, 2018
1 of 18

Do clients know upwork takes 20% from freelancer earnings?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
2 of 18

Why should they know or care? My business expenses as a freelancer are my business, not the clients. I factor Upwork fees, which are simply a cost of doing business, into the rates I set and my quotes, but it's none of the client's business. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 18

Most of them don't. I work with a lot of new clients and explain how it works. Think about if you were a client and showed up to this place and wanted to hire someone. Would you be educated in the ways freelancers work? Probably not. It's fine though. You can tell them if they ask. Sometimes Upwork is a whole new world to them and they are interested in understanding how it works.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
4 of 18

Up to now, whenever I mentioned this to clients, they were very surprised. I did find a job offer where the client spoke about these 20%, so some are aware of it.

It's a shame freelancers (particularly beginners) don't take these 20% into account when they bid....

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 18

The way I look at it:
It's not a secret.

Any Upwork client who wants to know about how things work for freelancers can easily look that up.

As a freelancer, I don't care if clients know or don't know. It's certainly nothing that I bring up.

Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 18

Preston H wrote:

The way I look at it:
It's not a secret.

Any Upwork client who wants to know about how things work for freelancers can easily look that up.

As a freelancer, I don't care if clients know or don't know. It's certainly nothing that I bring up.

Well Preston, you probably don't often have jobs where Upwork takes 20%. You"ve been around long enough to mostly have jobs where Upwork takes 10%, which is a much more acceptable rate, in my opinion. This is why you don't care whether a client knows or not, it doesn't hurt your finances.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Sarah B Member Since: Dec 15, 2017
7 of 18

I haven't been around quite as long as Preston, but I've never thought that my (fair imo) Upwork rate was the client's concern, no matter the percentage. It's my cost of doing business, why would I make it their problem?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
8 of 18

Luce N wrote:

Preston H wrote:

The way I look at it:
It's not a secret.

Well Preston, you probably don't often have jobs where Upwork takes 20%. You"ve been around long enough to mostly have jobs where Upwork takes 10%, which is a much more acceptable rate, in my opinion. This is why you don't care whether a client knows or not, it doesn't hurt your finances.

Are you saying he never gets/accepts contracts from new clients?

Because if and when he does - why wouldn't he have to pay the 20% on the first $500 like everybody else?

So I went and took a look at Preston's profile and saw he regularly takes on new & smaller jobs. Unless they are all for repeat clients they will all have incurred the initial higher fee.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
9 of 18

Ela K wrote:

Luce N wrote:

Preston H wrote:

The way I look at it:
It's not a secret.

Because if and when he does - why wouldn't he have to pay the 20% on the first $500 like everybody else?

So I went and took a look at Preston's profile and saw he regularly takes on new & smaller jobs. Unless they are all for repeat clients they will all have incurred the initial higher fee.

I was going to ask this same question. Small or large project, 20% on the first $500 seems pretty low to me, since I literally do hardly any marketing to gain the client. I'd rather complain about the new communication TOS BS than the 20% fee. Many of us will be lucky to sign any new, honest clients who will abide by that new TOS rule, so that 20% won't make much of a difference for long. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
10 of 18

Amanda L wrote:

Ela K wrote:

Luce N wrote:

Preston H wrote:

The way I look at it:
It's not a secret.

I was going to ask this same question. Small or large project, 20% on the first $500 seems pretty low to me, since I literally do hardly any marketing to gain the client. I'd rather complain about the new communication TOS BS than the 20% fee. Many of us will be lucky to sign any new, honest clients who will abide by that new TOS rule, so that 20% won't make much of a difference for long. 

Well, Amanda, you must take into account the fact that not eveyone here is in a niche that is profitable and that not everyone has access to the United States only jobs. You can also consider the fact that freelancers that are not it the States have to pay the banks too when they exchange dollars for their local policies. Another point to consider is taxes. Depending on the country where you live, a freelancer may have to pay more taxes than you.

I, for one, am much less irritated by the 20% thing because I've been on UW for long enough not to have to pay 20% for every job I get. But I can remember how it felt.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS