cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do the Freelancer's data transfer over from elance?

John S Member Since: Nov 16, 2015
1 of 6

I notice that none of my 66 jobs that I contracted for as a Elance Client came over on my migration of my account to upwork. Neither did my 5 star rating or client reviews of working with me. So, what about Freelancers? Did their hours work transfer over or are they starting from scratch on upwork (regarding hours worked)? I notice that Freelancer's reviews are quite minimal on upwork with none of the detail that was present on elance. I used to spend a lot of time reading through reviews before hiring, but I see very little to go on with upwork (other than the ridiculous upwork suggestion that "this freelancer is perfect for your job" What a joke). So if I specify minimum of 500 hours worked - is that on elance and upwork? 

So far I feel like I have gone back in time to the dark ages of the internet and that upwork is an early prototype of elance before they figured out all of the great features of elance. Sad to see something devolve into worse, when most things evolve and get better.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 6

Hi John,

Your full Elance job history and profile details did transfer to Upwork and are visible on your job post.

I see you only copied your Elance client account and at the moment don't have a freelancer account on Upwork.

3 of 6

What about the Freelances? (no I am not a freelancer) I ask because I posted a job and one of the many ODD Upwork mandatory fields is "hours worked". I put in 500 and we only got 3 applicants on this job poting. Normally on elance we would expect 20 -30 easy. (I have posted over 80 jobs on elance and hired/completed 66, so I am quite used to this process). So when a freelancer transferred over to upwork, did hours worked transfer over or are they starting from scratch on upwork? I DO NOT SEE ANYWHERE ON A FREELANCER'S PROFILE "HOURS WORKED", so why is that a mandatory field - if I am looking at a freelancer's profile and thinking of using them, I have no way of knowing if they will be excluded from an upwork invitation and I will have to manually invite them. What do you base hours worked on?

4 of 6

I stand corrected - I do see "Hours Worked" on some of my past elance contractors. Question - did this number come from elance or did they have to start from scratch on upwork?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 6

Hi John,

If the freelancer chose to merge or copy their Elance account to Upwork, their Elance hours worked will be included counted on their profile.

Also note that "Hours Billed on Upwork" is not a required field when creating a job posting. You don't need to add that preference if you don't want to. If you do, freelancers may still apply if they do not meet your preferences, but they will be clearly notified that they are at a disadvantage.

I hope this helps.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Claudia Z Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
6 of 6

The freelancers work history & feedback from elance are not automatically transferred. The data is transferred only if the freelancer followed the steps to duplicate or merge the account on upwork. Some freelancers might have had an odesk/upwork account prior duplication, the history may include data from both accounts. Some choose not to duplicate and it has only the upwork history or starting from the ground.

From what I have noticed ... the freelancers search its a killer at the beginning. You get very few relevant search results. It probably has something to do with the matching algorithm who doesnt have enough data about your search habits and needs and just displays whatever it finds. I suppose that posting a job with relevant keywords may help to get better search results in a shorter time or keep searching/browsing and in a matter of weeks you start getting more relevant search results.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS