cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Upwork charge a fee on top of what you pay worker?

Highlighted
Christina A Member Since: Oct 15, 2015
1 of 4

If I have a job that needs to be done and I want to pay $9 for it. Do I have to pay any more than that to get my job done by the worker?  Does Upwork charge a fee on top of what you pay worker?

Christina

Highlighted
Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
2 of 4

The bid you see from the freelancer includes the UpWork charge, which is 10% of what the freelancer earns. This is also true of the hourly rates you see on profiles, in case you send someone an offer that way.  So if you want to pay $9, all you need to do is make sure you accept an offer that is at $9 and you are all set.

Depending on the job you are looking to get done, it might be a good idea to send out some invitations to good candidates yourself though, as there are a lot of freelancers that do not want to "waste" their connects on jobs that have a small budget. Anyone you invite to apply to your job won't have to use up any connects to make a quote.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
3 of 4

What Hanna said. But keep in mind that if you specify that you want to pay $9 then you'll get a few people putting in a proposal for $10. Well, you'll get a few people putting in proposals for more than that, if they feel the work is worth more than that, but some providers assume that clients have $9 to spend, plus the Upwork fees.

So, if it's 'mission critical' that you pay no more than $9, then you should mention that you have $9 to spend including Upwork fees.   

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 4

Does Upwork charge a fee on top of what you pay worker?

No.

For example, if your fixed-price contract is for $9.00, and you pay your contractor $9.00, then your credit card will be charged ONLY $9.00.

But if you post a job at $9.00, a contractor might propose $20.

You and a contractor can agree to any amount. What matters is what you agree to and what you end up releasing as payment to the contractor. What you originally suggest as a budget in a job posting is not binding or final.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS