cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Upwork make changes to files transferred between clients and freelancers?

Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
11 of 16

@Marcia M wrote:

This is very weird.

I received two Word documents from highly qualified writers with excellent Engish skills. They both employ perfect grammar and spelling - except that in both documents, some spaces between words were randomly removed.

I found it very strange that two completely different writers, both with extremely high levels of skill would continue to make the same silly mistake repeatedly.

When I discussed this with one of the writers, she assured me that she did not make these errors, and I believe her, based on the fact that she is not the only writer whose work showed the missing spaces, and that the quality of both writers' work and their professionalism makes me doubt that they would send me work without reviewing for errors first.

Does Upwork do some kind of "processing" that could affect the content of files being transferred?  If so, it is unacceptable. This was actually a (paid) test job, and I could see a client who isn't such a good judge of writing talent not hiring one of these freelancers because they "failed spellcheck" or something like that.

I've contacted Support about this, and I'm waiting to hear what they have to say.

Most likely the Word versions used are not identical. There are minor incompatibilities between the different versions of Word. I regularly notice this if a client is using Word for Mac. 

Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
12 of 16

Thanks.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
13 of 16

Hi Marcia, Sussane and Colina,

I can confirm files shared through Upwork are not modified by the system.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
14 of 16

It's Nichola on this site, Vlad! (Colina is soon to be buried in the rubble of the other platform.)  Smiley Wink

(But thank you for the reassurance on the word spacing and I think Joachim and Barbara are right. I have had real problems with Open Office when I transfer any work to Word, or vice versa, and sometimes Word docs between a Mac and Windows can be slightly different.)

tanya s Member Since: Oct 11, 2015
15 of 16

@Marcia M wrote:

different writers, both with extremely high levels of skill would continue to make the same silly mistake repeatedly.

It would really help if you give an example of a silly mistake!
How can we even discuss this issue without enough data?
- Is using other sources for files storage prohibited by UW?
Why not to use google drive, box.com, amazon or similar file sharing platforms, where you can actually delete files permanently. It doesn't look like a good idea to let your business data sitting as attachments in UW or emails.
- As a general rule, it is the best to open a document in the same program where it was saved.
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
16 of 16

@tanya s wrote:

@Marcia M wrote:

different writers, both with extremely high levels of skill would continue to make the same silly mistake repeatedly.

It would really help if you give an example of a silly mistake!
How can we even discuss this issue without enough data?
- Is using other sources for files storage prohibited by UW?
Why not to use google drive, box.com, amazon or similar file sharing platforms, where you can actually delete files permanently. It doesn't look like a good idea to let your business data sitting as attachments in UW or emails.
- As a general rule, it is the best to open a document in the same program where it was saved.

Tanya, Upwork allows Dropbox but I would imagine that any other file sharing service e.g. Ge.tt can be used too.  From the privacy point of view one is as bad as the other. If you want to ensure confidentiality you will have to use encryption, e.g. PGP or GnuPG. But, if a job goes awry it does make sense to have everything in Upwork as with a dispute Upwork will require proof. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS