cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does a contractor see the entire milestone contract?

c97492c2

I hired a contractor in 2 milestones   I paid the deposit and he agreed to the contract as stated.   Now he is telling me he only sees the 1st deposit for the1st milestone and sees nothing for the 2nd.  

The contract is $100 for the 1st    $300 for the 2nd 

He is has not yet comleted the 1st yet but wont do anymore work until he gets the $100   

I told him i cannot pay until he finishes the 1st milestone.  Then i will release...

Then contractor tells me to change the milestones as 1 milestone and release partial payments as he completes eash step...

I feel this is ok   I need the whole job done..  I jsut would like confience now that the work will be completed.  

I also added if contractor does not complete the entire job he would have to refudn all monies paid and release the rest of the deposit...  I dont want a partial job.

Should i be looking for another contractor ...   Im not sure if he doesnt understand the milestones feature or he is trying to scam me...

I offered abd changed the 2nd miles sotnes and added a 3rd making 100 for the 1st   $150 for 2nd and $150 for 3rd..   He still wants in 1 milestone...

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
denfox

Hello,

You're not in any way compelled or required to pay in advance for a milestone.
The freelancer either doesn't understand how the escrow system works or has malicious intentions.

The whole point of Upwork is to serve as a mediation platform, securing both the client's right to get what they stated they'd pay for, and the freelancer's right to get paid for what they promised they'd deliver.

If a milestone is funded, the freelancer should simply deliver what the milestone requires and the client is then supposed to approve it.

In your case, the freelancer can either decide to trust the system, deliver what they need to deliver under the 1st milestone and if it is objectively satisfactory receive their payment, or they can decide not to trust the system, not to deliver, and therefore forfeit their right to receive remuneration.

It's quite simple.

EDIT: I forgot to add that the importance of setting milestones is indeed often overlooked. There's a reason the offer is presented to the freelancer with all the relevant milestone details. Once the freelancer accepts the offer, they're tacitly agreeing with the step-by-step payment formula and, once again, are bound to deliver what each milestone requires before being entitled to receiving payment. Communication is key...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
denfox

Hello,

You're not in any way compelled or required to pay in advance for a milestone.
The freelancer either doesn't understand how the escrow system works or has malicious intentions.

The whole point of Upwork is to serve as a mediation platform, securing both the client's right to get what they stated they'd pay for, and the freelancer's right to get paid for what they promised they'd deliver.

If a milestone is funded, the freelancer should simply deliver what the milestone requires and the client is then supposed to approve it.

In your case, the freelancer can either decide to trust the system, deliver what they need to deliver under the 1st milestone and if it is objectively satisfactory receive their payment, or they can decide not to trust the system, not to deliver, and therefore forfeit their right to receive remuneration.

It's quite simple.

EDIT: I forgot to add that the importance of setting milestones is indeed often overlooked. There's a reason the offer is presented to the freelancer with all the relevant milestone details. Once the freelancer accepts the offer, they're tacitly agreeing with the step-by-step payment formula and, once again, are bound to deliver what each milestone requires before being entitled to receiving payment. Communication is key...

View solution in original post

Thanks for your reply.   He just tried to get me to fund even more for the contract and aksing me for payment upfront.   

I thought this was suspicous.  

I asked him to cancel the contract so i did not have to wait for the disput team to resolve.  He did..  Thank you for your help...

Contractors can see all the milestones but if I'm not mistaken, they can see the founded mention only for the first milestone.

That being said, it doesn't matter. As long as one milestone is funded, the contractor can work and deliver this specific milestone. Once it is released by the client, they will know if the next one is funded.

The client never has to release a milestone before the work is delivered.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

That is what i thought   The freelancer could only see the 1st milestone funded.   But the contract was for the total amount which he agreed to.  I have confirmation of that aknoledgment from him thru the system here in upwork..

When I said i would agree to aplit the milesotnes up further...  He said ok.   Then he said he wanted to cancel the contract and fund for just the 1 milestone and then i could release partial payments.   I was ok with that.  

Then he cancelled the contract and asked me to split it up in 4 milestones.  asking to pre pay upfront the 1st miletone when no work was completed...  And added more money into the contract.

He cancelled the contract saying i did not pay for the work...  I was already funded...  in the system...

It was so obvious he was trying to scam me.   I guess jsut didnt want to believe it...  All weekend i dealt with ths person...  I demanded he make a decision by today...  

I am glad it was at no cost to me    however i wasted so much time with him causing much delay in work needed...

Thank you for your reply and help!

Larry,

For future reference, a client can fully fund their whole project up front, and then release only a part of the amount along the way (reaching an agreement with the freelancer first of course).

From a post by Vlad (one of the forum moderators): If you fully fund a project, you can click the Pay Now button next to the first milestone and edit the amount you're releasing to your freelancer, in which case the remaining funds can be used to fund the subsequent milestone(s) on a contract.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS