🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Does upwork save the information i provid...
Page options
62b95de5
Community Member

Does upwork save the information i provide of my credit card?

so i know that i have to add credit card/debit card information to pay freelancers, but my concern is that does upwork save my information ? like card number, name etc. Because i have seen it many times that this information gets in wrong hands all the time.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Jameel:

If Upwork did not save your information somewhere, they would not be able to charge you for the work done by freelancers you hire.

So the answer to your question is: Yes.

Upwork saves your pertinent credit card information, in the same way that Amazon.com, and other retailers save your information if you set up accounts that can be charged without re-entering that information, and in the same way that Netflix and other subscriptions save your information so that they can charge you on a recurring basis.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
j_rains
Community Member

They save the information to your profile, it'll pop up as "payment verified" on your account and without that you typically "not always" will see a lack in proposals if you don't have it verified.

They don't sell or give out your information though, I've never heard of anything like negative like that on this platform.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Jameel:

If Upwork did not save your information somewhere, they would not be able to charge you for the work done by freelancers you hire.

So the answer to your question is: Yes.

Upwork saves your pertinent credit card information, in the same way that Amazon.com, and other retailers save your information if you set up accounts that can be charged without re-entering that information, and in the same way that Netflix and other subscriptions save your information so that they can charge you on a recurring basis.

Yes I know that those websites also save information like that. I was just curious to know the details. But I am sure my information will be safe with upwork.

How are you sure about that? If it can be digitally stored, it can be digitally hacked. Storing credit card CCV numbers is rife for exploitation. Hackers will target Upwork just because they have this information. I'm leaving. 

a45abc25
Community Member

This from the Upwork website: "... Upwork saves your pertinent credit card information, in the same way that Amazon.com, and other retailers save your information" only it's BS. Amazon and other retailers DO NOT store CCV numbers for credit cards. This information is designed to protect the consumer because only the consumer has the information. Upwork wants the information so they can make a charge without your consent. I'm not giving it over and I'm going somewhere else for my freelancers. DO NOT GIVE UPWORK YOUR CCV!

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Melanie, 

At Upwork, we take your privacy seriously. We’re always working to help ensure that Upwork is a secure platform for you. Access to Upwork is encrypted using Transport Layer Security (TLS), and for any sensitive information you provide, such as payment information, we encrypt the transmission of that information using Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology. You may check this article for more details on how Upwork protects your data. 

Since you are already being assisted through a ticket, it would be best to continue communicating with the team if you have further concerns you wish to share. 

Thank you!

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths