🐈
» Forums » Clients » Double Billing (charged twice for a single mi...
Page options
0bf4dfdb
Community Member

Double Billing (charged twice for a single milestone)

Hello Upwork team,

I've been looking at my weekly billing report and I realised I've been billed twice for the same milestone.

The first charge is labelled as a "Funding Request"with ref ID 454912181 on Feb 22, 2022

The second is labelelled as an "Invoice" with ref ID 452645233 on Feb 14, 2022

Both have the same charge of 40USD from the same milestone and same freelancer.

This is just 1 example of a duplicate charge, there are many other instances of this.

Could you please check for the reason for this double-billing please? Would there be any way to recover these double charges back to my account?

Thank you.

-James

6 REPLIES 6
NikolaS

Hi James,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I would like to clarify that this is by design. On a Fixed-Price contract, there will be two sets of transactions. The first one is when the client funds the milestone and the other one is when the amount is released to the freelancer. 

On the transactions report, these steps will not appear in this order. For example, on the report, funds going from your account to escrow is the first step. The report shows transactions in the order they are processed by the system.

Fixed-Price transaction process: 

• Funds are deposited into your account from a billing method
  • Funds move out of your account into escrow
  • Funds move out of your account to cover the payment processing fee
  • When releasing payment, funds are deposited back in your account from escrow
  • Funds are sent from your account to the freelancer or agency

You can find more information in this help article. Let us know if you have further questions.

~ Nikola
Upwork
0bf4dfdb
Community Member

Thanks Nikola for looking into this. One further question, why do both of the transactions (escrow deposit and release to freelancer) both result in a decrease in balance? (column M)

upworksupport.PNG

Hi James,

Thank you for following up. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

Edited to correct information. 

I checked and it looks like you already have a ticket regarding your concern about the duplicated transactions. Could you please follow up with our team directly on your ticket so that they can assist you accordingly? 

Thank you,

~ Nikola
Upwork
dc3eeafc
Community Member

Hey, I was working with the client on an hourly contract, and unfortunately, the client's contract got put on hold temporarily. During that hold period, my pending amount was refunded to the client due to missing memos, although the client assured me not to worry about it and said they would pay once the issue was resolved. After the client's issue was resolved, they kindly sent me the refunded amount as a bonus. However, Upwork deducted the service fee again, and I ended up paying the service fee twice for the same work. Could you please look into this matter? I appreciate your help in resolving this issue. Thank you!

With amount refunded Upwork fee also rollbacked. So you wasn't charged for first time. Check your history.

9e021ad7
Community Member

Hi, was the issue solved?
Because I have the same issue when I withdrew a contract. Upwork charge me twice. Still on going.

If your issue solved, could you please share some steps that you took?

Latest Articles
Learning Paths