cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double charge of services

Highlighted
Tyler S Member Since: Jun 13, 2017
1 of 10

I've hired 3 Freelancers and in each contract with them, the total amount adds up to about $71. However when I look at my billing history it is billed at $154. I'd like some clarification of what is going on

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 10

Hi Tyler,

I checked your active and completed contracts and can confirm the payments you received on Milestones on all of the contracts do match the total amount you were billed for so far on Upwork. Please take a look and make sure to include the payments processed for your ended contracts, as it looks like you haven't taken these into account in your original calculation.

Highlighted
Tyler S Member Since: Jun 13, 2017
3 of 10

It says that the amount debited is $151, which doesn't seem to match. Is there any explanation on how the $154 was derived?

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 10

Hi Tyler,

Please take into account the payment processing fee for each payment you issued. You can have a clear overview of your transactions by going to Reports > Transactions and setting the dates so all your transactions are included on the list.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Highlighted
Juan Andres H Member Since: Jul 20, 2020
5 of 10

Hello I've been double charged for the first work of fleence services. In my credit card report it shows a charge for $320 when my week's charge should have been $160 I need this solved immediately and I'm not happy at all with the lack of directs contact support you guys offer. If this will keep going I need to know so I can cancel my contract with my current freelancer 

**Edited for community guidelines**

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
6 of 10

Hi Juan Andres,

The reason why you see additional charge is because you have added a Recurring Weekly Payment on the contract when you have sent the offer to the freelancer. This means that the freelancer will get paid weekly even if they don't track any time. At this moment the freelancer can issue a refund for the amount they have received. 

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
7 of 10

Ok, I don't recall adding that feature to the payment process but I'll cancel it right now. Still shoudln't the system recognize he's worked the minimum 5 hours of the week and not charge me double for the same work? So my step to follow here would be to cancel this recurring payment and ask the freelancer to refund one fo the values charged to me? Correct?

Highlighted
8 of 10

Just went to the contract settings and couldn't find a way to modify this weekly recurrent payment, nor something that indicates I've set it up that way. Am I missing something? 

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
9 of 10

Hi Juan Andres,

The Recurring Weekly Payment can only be set as part of your contract offer. To make changes you must end the current contract, rehire your freelancer, and set different weekly terms in the Advanced Options.

Let us know if you need any additional assistance.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 10

Bojan S wrote:

To make changes you must end the current contract, rehire your freelancer, and set different weekly terms in the Advanced Options.

or rather.... not touch the "Advanced Options" at all!!!

Ever since Upwork have removed the clear explanation that the weekly payment is charged in addition to the hours logged, which used to be visible without clicking on any additional stuff, there has been a sharp increase of clients who set this up accidentally.

The advisory needs to be clearly visible there at all times because this causes needless hassle and arguments and disputes and poor contract outcomes.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS