Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Re: Download files from Upwork messages

5756f5cc
Active Member
Todd H Member Since: Oct 5, 2018
11 of 26

Hi, did this functionality get dropped? Everytime I click on an image in Messenger it opens it in an aws browser where this is no option to download.

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
12 of 26

@Todd H wrote:

Hi, did this functionality get dropped? Everytime I click on an image in Messenger it opens it in an aws browser where this is no option to download.


 If you right-click on an image, you should get a menu with options ... have you tried that?

5d63806a
Active Member
Andi Reese B Member Since: Dec 4, 2017
13 of 26

When I click on a file in my freelancer's messages, when the file opens up, it has a different file name. It's a hassle! Any suggestions? (Previously, I have not had this problem. Upwork changed something . . .)

Andi

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
14 of 26

@Andi Reese B wrote:

When I click on a file in my freelancer's messages, when the file opens up, it has a different file name. It's a hassle! Any suggestions? (Previously, I have not had this problem. Upwork changed something . . .)

Andi


Have you tried this? Click on the little file icon in your message room, then click on the file and you will be asked, do you want to save this file - see my screenshot below. My clients are not having problems downloading files, so I'm not sure what's going on - but maybe this will help you.

 

Alternately, you could just use another file exchange option, like Dropbox or Wetransfer, etc.

 

Sorry, I've apparently misunderstood your problem. Hope you get it figured out soon.

 

 

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
15 of 26

Also .... it helps to look at your browser settings, because it is there that you can specify what you want to have happen when you click on and download files. You should be able to set up a custom place and folder on your hard drive where all those files will land. Basic stuff, but some folks never look at those settings.

 

Nevermind.

deweye
Active Member
mike f Member Since: Feb 11, 2019
16 of 26

What a pain, there is no logical/clear and simple way to download files my freelancer uploaded. 

I have to open each one, which is slow, and then right click and use a chrome save as command.

It will take me 20 minutes to do this for all of them.

My freelancers need to use Skype and Dropbox, not this.

 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
17 of 26

re: "My freelancers need to use Skype and Dropbox, not this."

 

That is correct.

 

You may be working with freelancers who have limited experience with particularly useful file transfer methods (such as Skype, Dropbox, FTP, email, USB drive, Google Drive, TransferWise, etc.).

 

You may need to send them a Dropbox link, or ask them whcih file transfer tools they are comfortable with.

 

Upwork definitely is not the ideal solution to all file transfer needs. it is not a file transfer tool, although it has some limited functionality in that regard.

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
18 of 26

mike f wrote:

What a pain, there is no logical/clear and simple way to download files my freelancer uploaded. 

I have to open each one, which is slow, and then right click and use a chrome save as command.

It will take me 20 minutes to do this for all of them.

My freelancers need to use Skype and Dropbox, not this.

 


Mike,

 

I agree that it's not a seamless process. Dropbox, WeTransfer, etc. is the way to go when you have lots of files. Another option (and something I offer clients if there are multiple files) is to share an alternate email that a freelancer can attach a zipped file and send to you. This is a good idea for this purpose, and also because of how often this site goes down and/or has messaging issues.

 

Preston is right ... file transfer on Upwork leaves a lot to be desired. That said, if freelancers are required to submit files in order to get paid, then Upwork should do something to improve upon this function.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
19 of 26

re: " if freelancers are required to submit files in order to get paid, then Upwork should do something to improve upon this function"

 

Virginia:

I appreciate your point about this.

And of course I wouldn't object if Upwork improved file transfer capabilities.

 

But technically is is not required to submit files via Upwork in order to get paid. For fixed-price projects, I rarely submit files using the "Submit Work" button. I usually just send a note referring clients to the work that I have done.

 

I know it seems natural to submit files, and it can be comforting to do so. But it's not really a requirement for getting paid.

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
20 of 26

Preston H wrote:

re: " if freelancers are required to submit files in order to get paid, then Upwork should do something to improve upon this function"

 

Virginia:

I appreciate your point about this.

And of course I wouldn't object if Upwork improved file transfer capabilities.

 

But technically is is not required to submit files via Upwork in order to get paid. For fixed-price projects, I rarely submit files using the "Submit Work" button. I usually just send a note referring clients to the work that I have done.

 

I know it seems natural to submit files, and it can be comforting to do so. But it's not really a requirement for getting paid.


I know that Preston ... I was using it to make a point. As well, when people (mostly newbies) come to the forums crying about not getting paid, this is what we (and the mods) tell them to do. Use the "submit work", "get paid" button.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS