Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dumbfounded by UpWork

degrama
Ace Contributor
Grant M Member Since: Nov 9, 2014
1 of 15

Hello,

I am dumbfounded by UpWork! I rarely have time to post of forums so please bare with me. I believe this situation should be made public and hopefully I can get some feedback.

BACKGROUND

MySelf

• Platinum Tier: One of the top clients on Upwork
  • (4.59) 73 reviews
  • over $30,000 USD spent

I consider this a pretty good considering I've had to fire a few people over the years which tends to lead to a few spiteful reviews.

Contractor

• 100% Job Success
  • 3,908 hours worked
  • 74 jobs

I consider this exceptional, in fact I rarely see contractors with 500, 1000, etc hours. For the last 2+ years this contractor has worked with my team exclusively.

THE PROBLEM

Yesterday I ended a job for my contractor with the intention of rehiring again today.

Today, I attempted to rehire my contractor and was unsuccessful. The system said the contractors account was unavailable.

Obviously, I opened a live support chat and explained that I wanted to rehire a past contractor. I was informed that the contractor's account was suspended and would not be reinstated.

After a lengthy discussion the customer support representitive said specifically, "We will not reinstate this user account and the decision is final. If you wish to work with this contractor you must do it outside of our platform."

This contractor has worked exclusively for me for the past 2+ years. There is no logical reason why someone with nearly 4,000 logged hours and above average rating should be suspended.

Question to Contractors:

Consider yourself in the same situation. Maybe you have 250 hours now, or maybe even 1,200 and an above average rating. Then you wake up tomorrow to find out you are suspended. How would you feel?

Question to Employers:

What would you do if oDesk/UpWork advised you your contractor was suspended and you were no longer allowed to hire them. You have numerous outstanding projects which he was working on and it makes no sense to hire someone else to replace him or her. What would you do in this situation?

So many people complain about the quality of freelancers found on sites like oDesk, UpWork, Elance, etc. While I am sure there are plenty of individuals who deserve to be suspended or banned. I can attest that this is certainly not the case with a contractor with a resume such as I've described above.

Finding qualty contractors like this are the only reason I continue to use this platform. And it seems like those days are coming to and end.

Sincerely,

Grant

garnorm
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
2 of 15

Hi Grant,

I'd like to help with your case. I'm going to send you a private message here on the forums so we can dig into this a bit further. There are likely good reasons why we've taken this strict action on the freelancer you were working with, but we certainly don't want to drive away your business and we may be able to help. Look for my message in your Community messages. 

degrama
Ace Contributor
3 of 15

Hello Garnon,

Waiting to hear from you. I assume your message shows up in the messages area correct?

elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
4 of 15

Hi Grant,

I have no idea why your contractor got suspended. From reading the freelancer's section of the forum it seems that quite a few people are having problems with account reviews etc. recently.

Moderators usually state that to get suspended there must have been some serious violation of Upwork policies.

After having worked with this particular contractor for such a long time I would assume that you have other means of getting in touch with them (private email, Skype)?

If it were me getting suspended I would find a way to get in touch with my client.

And while I agree that this is unfortunate - why can't you work with him/her outside of Upwork? If they are that good and a vital part of your team?

There are so many metrics in place now measuring a freelancer's performance - nobody really understands how things work anymore...

degrama
Ace Contributor
5 of 15

Thanks Ela,

I've spoke with my contactor and our best guessis he stood up to some previous employeers back between 2008 - 2010. We spoke briefly today and he said that when he started out he was being taken advantage of and stood his ground hoping that oDesk would also back him up. However, I find it extraordinarily odd that something from that long ago might affect his status in 2015.

To add to this he has been exclusive with my team for well over two years. Yes, I certainly have the contractors Skype, we often speak daily. I was advised by customer support to work my contractor outside of UpWork's platform and at my own descretion.

Honestly, I have no issue working outside of UpWork. My concern at this point is my contractors reputation. He has logged nearly 4,000 hours here only to have everything he has built up erased.

elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
6 of 15

That's great - you having his back.

And no, I don't think something that happened 4 years ago could affect him today. The JS score for instance is calculated over a period of 24 months - but you wrote his was 100%.

Lots of mysterious things going on... hopefully it will be resolved soon!

degrama
Ace Contributor
7 of 15

Then it makes no sense at all!

Yes, he has worked for me exclusively for more than the past two years on at least two separate contracts.

And I was about to rehire him again today. How sad!

Contract ended May 13th, 2015 - $10,570.88

Contract ended Sept. 2014 - $7,432.68

garnorm
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
BEST ANSWER
8 of 15

Hi Grant,

It looks like we sorted this out and you're able to resume working with the freelancer in question. Without getting into too much detail here on the public discussion forum, it appears the freelancer was able to continue working with you but due to a long-standing account restriction, when that long-term project was complete, the suspension took effect. We've lifted that, so you two can continue working now.

View solution in original post

degrama
Ace Contributor
9 of 15

Hello Garnor,

I've rehired my contractor which is all I wanted. Thank you for your assistance.

On another note I've noticed a few others with similar problems. Since you appear to be a man of action perhaps you can assist others with similar issues.

I came across this post. Obviously I do not know all the details but her profile show 7,000 hours logged with 4.75 rating.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Account-is-suspended/m-p/80565/highlight/false#M34890

Sincerely,

Grant

g_nembhard
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
10 of 15

Well done for persisting with this, Grant. I know there's benefit for you, but also for the freelancer. Some clients wouldn't bother.

I hope your projects are successful.

All the best.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS