cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edited: Upwork developer gone MIA (AS USUAL)

Matt C Member Since: May 9, 2019
11 of 24

Mark F.......

You do not make any sense or address any points in this topic. It has only fabricated a tangent that no one needs to discuss or is even relevant.

Please read carefully before commenting in future.

Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
12 of 24

Matt C wrote:

[…]

His initial proposal stated he could "completed the tasks in 2 hours" and this is now two weeks ago.

Even previous developers who could not complete the tasks **edited for Community Guidelines** or at least provide sections of work that they could complete. […]

And still you've decided to hire the guy...

13 of 24

Olga Q

Yes. This project can be completed in two hours from a dedicated developer. I gave two days out of courtesy.

Anything else?

Ace Contributor
Brian S Member Since: Aug 9, 2019
14 of 24

Matt C:

Wow, I am a new freelancer here and really looking for projects and already reading bad reviews about Upwork.  I hope Upwork works it out with you. I've been trying to apply for projects havn't got one approved yet. I was a little iffy like is Upwork real or is it someone just posting fake jobs.  At least I know that there are someone really alive and looking for freelancers to accomplish some goals.  Sorry to hear about that. 

- Brian S.

15 of 24

Brian S

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
16 of 24

Matt. Concerning the source code (in general) it's a 2 way street concerning the source code. Some developers include it some don't and some want extra compensation after the job is done if a client wants the source code. Clients have complained about not receiving the source code or having to pay extra for it. The (clients) naturally assume that it comes with the completed job and is included in the price. Make sure, in the future, if you need the source code, that you specify that in the contract (in writing) and the amount it will cost for that. Do not release any payment until that requirement (source code) is delivered to you. 

On hourly jobs. - you have for the hours the freelancer puts in not for the quality of the work. But that doesn't mean you have to settle for sub par or shoddy work. You can request that the freelancer deliver all the work they did at the end of each day. or every 2 days etc. You said it defiantly could be done in 2 hours however you gave the freelancer 2 days. You should, after 2 days cancelled the contract if you weren't receiving anything. There was no reason to let this linger for 2 weeks. 

Perhaps this job should start out as a fixed rate with a specific deadline. Start out with a small milestone, and only release the funds allocated for that milestone when you receive the work. Then you can create another milestone etc. 

If you want to keep this job as an hourly job, have a specific outcome to be delivered to you each day. If you don't get the work, cancel the contract. 

And depending on your budget, as Preston sometimes states. Hire a few freelancers. have them complete something small and then hire the one that performs the best (of course paying the other freelancer for their time and effort.)

As for Upwork and this freelancer, I don't think anything can be done. Upwork, just like you can not force a freelancer to respond, or work. It may be upsetting and hard to hear, but Upwork is just a site that freelancers and clients can come together and preform services. Clients as well as freelancers should manage their businesses themselves  

You may be absolutely right that this person is a coward. They may have bit off more then they can chew. They may not have the experience needed to work on your job, but didn't want to come right out and tell you and since this is the internet, they may have felt it much easier to just disappear. 

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
17 of 24

Matt C wrote:

Upwork developer gone MIA (AS USUAL)

**Edited for Community Guidelines** has not provided any code and has now gone missing!

He should not have disappeared. However, his manliness has nothing to do with the case. 

His initial proposal stated he could "completed the tasks in 2 hours" and this is now two weeks ago.

So you should have closed the contract. 

Even previous developers who could not complete the tasks **edited for Community Guidelines** or at least provide sections of work that they could complete.

**edited for Community Guidelines** And if you had previous developers who could not entirely complete tasks, then you are making the wrong choices. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines** has pathetically gone into hiding like a child and **edited for Community Guidelines** and quite frankly, should be **Edited for Community Guidelines**.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

No contact from the upwork ticket I submitted to help get this sorted and no contact number.

I agree someone should have responded. 

Please somone respond as this is a matter of urgency and I am fed up of terrible developers on upwork damaging companies.....

Again you are making bad choices. Perhaps you should hire a project manager? 

(This is why projects and prices are going down on upwork because the majority of you provide such poor standard of work)

No the majority of us - where on earth do you get "majority" from? - do NOT provide poor work. There is an old saying in English that it is a poor craftsman who blames his tools ... 

If  your project still needs fixing, you may have to start again, but perhaps you should rethink how you word your proposals and be absolutely clear about what you expect from a freelancer and what you are prepared to pay.  You should also check the freelancer's credentials very closely. If someone says they can deliver in two hours, then hold them to it - don't wait two weeks before doing something about it.  

18 of 24

Nicola L..

I am genuinely disgusted and outraged.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Talking about bad choices Nichola I think you have made the worst choice of all here..

Furthermore.

TO ALL "COMMUNITY GURU'S" (I use that term very loosely):

Due to the utter nonsense that you have provided I will no longer reply to any of you.

We have gone from:
1. Hire a better developer and pay more
2. Lol and a wink face
3. Fairy Tail remarks about non payment **edited for Community Guidelines**
4. Complete inaccuracy about the job specifications in question without just asking
And the worst, yourself Nichola L
5. **Edited for Community Guidelines**

I have never seen or herd of so many people with nothing useful to say all in one place.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
19 of 24

Matt C wrote:

I have never seen or herd of so many people with nothing useful to say all in one place.

Political rallyes maybe?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
20 of 24

Hi Matt, 

I checked your open ticket and can see that the agent who handled your case noted that this will be escalated to our Mediation Team, and they will get back to you within 2 to 3 business days. 

Regarding your other freelancer, the agent noted that you can get back to them after 3-business days if he remains unresponsive so that the team can assist you further. 

As a gentle reminder to everyone, please be mindful of the Community Guidelines when posting in the Community. Posts that do not meet the guidelines will be edited or removed accordingly. 

-Avery
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS