cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**Edited** scammers

Highlighted
Mary S Member Since: Sep 16, 2015
1 of 17

Why does Upwork continue to allow these scammers to use the site, even when they know they are a fraud?  

Numerous times now I have hired an "american" or "canadian" that claims to have excellent writting skills, etc and its obvious when they submit their work they are NOT from this continent!  Then upwork will suspend their account and I think great - they have found out that is person has a fake profile, fake identity, is lying, etc and they have shut them down.  

I hired from **Edited for community guidelines**!  The name changes.  The picture changes.  And now I have a contract with a guy **Edited for community guidelines**

And Upwork allows them to do this!?!  Even after lying and scamming people??

Now these scammers are holding my money hostage for a week because they are disputing my refund requests.

Can someone explain this to me?  Upwork is faciliting a haven for these scammers.  This has happened to my SEVERAL times.  What can I do to prevent this other than leave Upwork, which I am now on the verge of doing.

Any assistance or advice would be appreciated.

Highlighted
Jaime G Member Since: Jan 14, 2020
2 of 17
This is ridiculous! I am a cute blonde from Texas if you need a proofreader.Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
3 of 17

Have you tried a video or telephone interview prior to hiring?  My understanding is that it's a good way to weed out the scammers.  If they won't do an interview, forget them.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 17

Mary S wrote:

What can I do to prevent this other than leave Upwork, which I am now on the verge of doing.

Any assistance or advice would be appreciated.

If you want native US and / or Canadian writers, hire those who charge genuine US / Canadian rates and TALK to them before hiring. Even a 2 minute call will do. You'll hear if they are lying about their location and most of the location liars won't agree to the call in the first place.

Highlighted
5 of 17
Thanks for the ideas to talk to them. Great idea! Does seem rather
pathetic on the part of the upwork that they would continue to allow a
person to change their identity in an attempt to mislead clients.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 17

re: "Does seem rather pathetic on the part of the upwork that they would continue to allow a person to change their identity in an attempt to mislead clients."

Mary:

I am sorry that you were frustrated by this.

But Upwork's rules do not actually allow this.

Upwork is stricter about this than just about any website you will find.

Upwork has separate identify verification protocols that freelancers undergo, including requiring freelancers to do a video verification interview in which they appear live on camera to confirm that they are in real life who they claim to be on their profile page.

But there are millions of Upwork freelancers. There are people who have not yet been confirmed, and some slip through the cracks.

It is a matter Upwork takes seriously and you are welcome to flag any freelancer profile as fake if you encounter such a thing, using the "Flag as inappropriate" link button in the top right hand corner of the freelancer profile page.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
7 of 17

Preston H wrote:

This is not true. Upwork rules may not allow this, but Upwork does very little to actually enforce them. They have backdoors in their auto approval system that a whole continent knows about. Everybody here and on Reddit is discussing about these, and they are still sitting on their hands.

Fake profiles are legion harming everybody. It's been that way for months or years, but still no reaction from Upwork.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
8 of 17

Rene K wrote:

Preston H wrote:

This is not true. Upwork rules may not allow this, but Upwork does very little to actually enforce them. They have backdoors in their auto approval system that a whole continent knows about. Everybody here and on Reddit is discussing about these, and they are still sitting on their hands.

Fake profiles are legion harming everybody. It's been that way for months or years, but still no reaction from Upwork.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 17

Preston H wrote:

Upwork is stricter about this than just about any website you will find.

Upwork has separate identify verification protocols that freelancers undergo, including requiring freelancers to do a video verification interview in which they appear live on camera to confirm that they are in real life who they claim to be on their profile page.

But there are millions of Upwork freelancers. There are people who have not yet been confirmed, and some slip through the cracks.

I think you are missing the point Mary was making.

Her point was that people who have clearly been proved to have faked their entire identity are allowed to continue on the site after changing their profile to the correct (more or less) details.

Clients have reported to how startled they were when they hired some blonde girl called Shannon from Toronto in Canada on Monday, and a week later blonde Shannon had morphed into a very unblonde dude residing in an african country....

Highlighted
10 of 17
Thank you. You are correct. When this happens repeatedly there is clearly
a disturbing problem. Here in the US a contract actually means something
and when the person you have a contract with changes identities (with the
knowledge and support of upwork) there is a serious problem with their
vetting system.

Clients have reported to how startled they were when they hired some blonde
girl called Shannon from Toronto in Canada on Monday, and a week later
blonde Shannon had morphed into a very unblonde dude residing in an african
country....