cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**Edited** scammers

Highlighted
Mary S Member Since: Sep 16, 2015
11 of 17

Thank you for letting me know about the "Flag as Inappropropriate" on the site.  I have gone in and flagged 5 people that have morphed from women in the US or Canada and are now men in Nigeria.  

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
12 of 17

Hi Mary,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with this freelancer. We have escalated your issue to our team and they have already reached out to you via this support ticket. Please consider following up on that ticket and our team will be more than happy to assist you accordingly.

Thanks so much for your patience.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
13 of 17

Bojan S.

The guy just admitted to me that he set up a fake account under a womens name, etc and now has changed his identity.  

Please tell me this is against Upworks terms and Upwork will up a stop to this.  

have flagged these accounts.  

I have responded to support tickets.  

I have repsonded to disputes.  

These acocunts are still active, my money is still being held in escrow and I no response from Upwork on any of it.

I've spent over 60k dollars on Upwork in the last 4 months. I'd at least like to hear someone say that fake accounts aren't allowed.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
14 of 17

Hi Mary, 

Thanks for replying to the tickets. I understand this is frustrating so I also checked on the status and see that the team is actively working on this and has been in touch with you. Bojan and I will also follow up with them and make sure you'll receive an update today.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
15 of 17

re: "I'd at least like to hear someone say that fake accounts aren't allowed."

Fake accounts are not allowed.

That is to say: Upwork's ToS does not allow freelancers to post fake information. Freelancers are required to use their real names, real location, real photo of themselves. These are the rules, and Upwork is unequivocal about these rules. You will not find any Upwork representative saying that fake accounts are allowed.

However, Upwork has millions of freelancers. It is a significant task to enforce this policy. There ARE freelancers who violate the rules on this platform, as there are probably users who violate the rules on every major website, and there are probably residents who violate laws in every country.

You have every right to be disappointed by your experiences with fake freelancers. You are correct if you have come to believe that Upwork's execution of its identity verification programs and policies is incomplete and imperfect. But the answer to your question is very simple, even if that answer in and of itself may not bring sufficient solace to anyone who has experienced the reality versus the idea.

Highlighted
16 of 17

Thank you, Preston.  I just wanted to be sure that it was in fact against the Terms. I wasn't able to find it in the terms, but the terms are long!  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
17 of 17

The terms you are looking for are here:

"The following are examples of uses that are prohibited on the Site...
...misrepresenting your experience, skills, or information, including by representing another person’s profile... using a profile photo that misrepresents your identity or represents you as someone else... impersonating any person or entity..."

https://www.upwork.com/legal#terms-of-use

Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 11.02.21 AM.png

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS