cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End a project, because work was absolutely bad.

meteo
Markus B Member Since: Feb 23, 2016
1 of 22

Hi to all

I subscribed a project for a portal. I don't hired the freelancer with the lowest offer - I hired the one with the highest offer, because I thought: "Good work will be fair paied".

Project started fast and the first results where online.... but with dozens of bugs. And the bugs where not peanuts or something, that was wrong described. No, there where basic things like "no answerpage after sending a Form" or things like this.

He sended me the mail with the "please pay - work is done" text. But for me, there was absolutely no finish at this work, there was no heartblood and no good ideas. I wrote a long document, with all the bugs and failures and after this, he came with things like: "This are special wishes and special to pay".

WOW, I was NOT happy.... and we mailed a lot and I made him a offer, to pay more for some things - but only, if the other things are solved. And I payed him 800$ for the first part. He worked and worked and worked...... no result. Sometimes a new versions, old bugs solved - new bugs in it.

Then he said, that he is in stress, because he started up a new company. Ok, I waited.... waited....waited.... and then he mailed me, that he has a new programmer and can program now for me the rest. Ohohohoh .... I thought, that HE was the programmer! And to change the programmer is bad in EVERY Project.

So I told him, that I will stop the project.

The rest of the money I payed to UpWork, was refundesd to me and I made a fair, but not good feedback. After this, he mailed me that he will send back ALL Money, if I make a better feedback. Hmmm, ok, I thought, I could make a little bit a better one. And this was my absolutely greatest failure!

After this, he never gave an answer. Since 13 days I try to contact the freelancer **edited for Community Guidelines** - but he gives no answer. I think, he is no programmer - only a money-receiver. Please be attentioned if he offer to your project.

Best regards

Markus

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 22

Hi Markus,

I am sorry this project didn't turn out well. It's very important that Upwork users share their honest feedback and experience once the contract is completed. That's why coercing positive feedback is a violation of our Policies. I suggest you report the freelancer to Customer Support and provide screenshots of your communication where the freelancer was offering a refund in exchange to positive feedback.

Also, note that we had to edit your post because it's not allowed by our Community Guidelines to share names in accusation.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork
meteo
3 of 22

Hi KAtrina and Valeria

Yes, I've opened a communication with the Support before some days. The last answer:

Zitat:

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Fact is: I can't communicate with freelancer, when he don't answer....

Best regards

Markus

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
4 of 22

If you still have the emails or communication that he tried to give you money back for better feedback, that is a big violation of TOS, you need to report him for feedback manupulation.  Also if he is a freelancer and not an agency it is also agains TOS that he put someone else working on your project without your permission.  I would definitely report him to CS and attach all relevent documents you have on these two conversations. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
5 of 22

Sorry Valeria our posts crossed.  Smiley Very Happy

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
gbalint
Community Leader
Gabriel B Member Since: Nov 25, 2014
6 of 22

So, I start a job, don't do it and get all the money => I get a bad rating. I refund half the money, I get an average rating. But if I refund all the money I get a good rating.

Therefore I get a good rating for free. Nice.

mbroznovat
Community Leader
Bogdan-Mihai R Member Since: Sep 6, 2010
7 of 22

@Gabriel - not quite. If a contractor refunds all the money, then that contract will no longer be visible on his profile.

So he gets a good rating for free, but that contract, the rating and comments would not be visible, hence the purpose would be lost.

gbalint
Community Leader
Gabriel B Member Since: Nov 25, 2014
8 of 22

Nah. There has to be some loophole and some people make use of it. Why ask for feedback if it's useless?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 22

Not sure why there is any confusion about this. When there is a full refund, there is no way for feedback to appear on the contractor's profile. But that doesn't let the contractor off the hook. Issuing full refunds delivers a big blow to a contractor's job success score.

The original poster hired a bad contractor. Or bad agency. Or who knows what.

It is unfortunate that the contractor did not work out. Presumably the next time the client attempts this project he will hire multiple contractors (5 is a good number) to do a small part of the project, and then continue working with the one who does the best work on the small, paid "test" job.

meteo
10 of 22

Thanks to all for replying.

Here 's the answer from the support:

**edited for Community Guidelines**

So I have to wait and UpWork is waiting..... until 2018 ? Or 2023 ....  perhaps 2041 ....  who knows.

The freelancer laughs at his home and starts a great party.

Good Job, Upwork, good Job   :-(

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS