cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End a project, because work was absolutely bad.

gbalint
Community Leader
Gabriel B Member Since: Nov 25, 2014
11 of 22

Wow, in what language did Upwork reply?

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
12 of 22

Hi Markus,

I understand your frustration. However, the client releases the funds from Escrow at their own discretion and once it's done Upwork has no control over those funds. That's why the amount that was funded in Escrow at the time of the contract closure was returned to you but only the freelancer can refund the amount that was released to him. Please, make sure you don't release funds from Escrow until you receive the work as agreed.

You can find more information here.

Please, note that sharing private communication is against the Community Guidelines.

Thank you for your understanding.

~ Valeria
Upwork
meteo
Markus B Member Since: Feb 23, 2016
13 of 22

Hi Valeria

You wrote, that sharing private communiaction is against the guidelines ..... aha!

And the freelancer?

- works not self

- cant do the work properly

- says he pays all back, if I do a better feedback

- after I do this, he never gives an answer

Tell me, against how much guidelines he had kicked?

I tell you what he is for me: Criminal!

best regards, Markus

oquintela
Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
14 of 22

@Preston H wrote:

[…] Issuing full refunds delivers a big blow to a contractor's job success score.

[…]

Screen Shot 2016-02-24 at 19.47.27.png

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Job-score-drop-without-a-reason/m-p/162665#M90224

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
15 of 22

Markus, I am not a client, but if the freelancer has taken the money, and the work did not come up to your expectations, then at least you can slam him/her with bad feedback both publicly and privately.

That said, it is very important that both client and freelancer know exactly where they stand at the start of a job. Very often, a client is less professional than the freelancer hired. It is essential that, as a client, you have your requirements buttoned up for the amount you are prepared to pay.

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
16 of 22

"The rest of the money I payed to UpWork, was refundesd to me and I made a fair, but not good feedback. After this, he mailed me that he will send back ALL Money, if I make a better feedback. Hmmm, ok, I thought, I could make a little bit a better one. And this was my absolutely greatest failure!"

That's just it, he did leave a bad feedback but changed it thinking he was going to get his money back.  The freelancer didn't refund his money.  Now he can no longer change the feedback. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
meteo
Markus B Member Since: Feb 23, 2016
17 of 22

Hi Katrina

You wrote:
That's just it, he did leave a bad feedback but changed it thinking he was going to get his money back.  The freelancer didn't refund his money.  Now he can no longer change the feedback. 

Absolutely correct. You understand it 100%

BEst regards

Markus

gbalint
Community Leader
18 of 22

You (some of you) guys keep hiring these bad developers while excellent ones quit programming altogether because they aren't treated with respect.

I have a friend who is an excellent C++/Qt developer, who always got in trouble at his workplaces because his work quality surpassed everyone else's, who joined Upwork and is in the TOP x% for C++ related tests (not that those tests are any reference point) and who received absolutely nothing. In more than a year not even one invite did he get.

On the other hand, while I've been interacting with this platform (a bit more over 1 year), I've met only one person who actually spoke English and knew what the hell he was talking about. The rest of the developers I had to interact with looked like they were using Google Translate and I'm not even going to comment on their algorithmical thinking.

My local developer friends and me continue to be baffled how people not able to speak English, not to mention do anything related to programming/developing, keep getting jobs here. And, by what it seems, keep getting moderate to good feedback.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
19 of 22

@Gabriel B wrote:

You (some of you) guys keep hiring these bad developers while excellent ones quit programming altogether because they aren't treated with respect.

I have a friend who is an excellent C++/Qt developer, who always got in trouble at his workplaces because his work quality surpassed everyone else's, who joined Upwork and is in the TOP x% for C++ related tests (not that those tests are any reference point) and who received absolutely nothing. In more than a year not even one invite did he get.

On the other hand, while I've been interacting with this platform (a bit more over 1 year), I've met only one person who actually spoke English and knew what the hell he was talking about. The rest of the developers I had to interact with looked like they were using Google Translate and I'm not even going to comment on their algorithmical thinking.

My local developer friends and me continue to be baffled how people not able to speak English, not to mention do anything related to programming/developing, keep getting jobs here. And, by what it seems, keep getting moderate to good feedback.

lol amen, brother.

We don't see the aftermath of the shoddy work, though. I did have a customer (I've talked about him in the coffee break section) that hired one of these cheap devs and the chaos that ensued after was incredible. I had to ask them why they thought cheap devs in India would know HIPAA even though they claimed they were HIPAA educated, and they just said they thought it was a great price for their startup. Nothing these devs did was HIPAA compliant and the code was a disaster. They hired me to control it, but it just never worked out and we parted ways. They had a great idea but they hired the cheapest con artists available. I still look at their website to see if they every did take off, but it still has a placeholder page.

People come here thinking they will pay cheap devs and their idea will take off, but they don't understand development and wind up getting sold a hunk of junk.

I was invited by a guy for a small automation project in C#. I don't normally do programming here for the reasons you stated, but his project was within my skill set, so I decided to chat with him. He wanted a flat rate of $1500. On the surface, it would seem that it could be a fair price, but once I started chatting with him, he has  no idea about technoloy or development. No direction. No real ability to guide me with what he wants, so I told him it has to be an hourly job and I'm sure it will go over $1500. And, we'll need a few hours to flesh out specs. He's disappeared and I'm sure he'll hire some low priced provider who will take his money and run. 

gbalint
Community Leader
20 of 22

With this I'd like to add two things for people looking for any kind of development:

• If you don't have a computer science/programming background, hire somebody who has. Not for actual work, but to talk to and figure out if the idea is feasible. A lot of things sound easy but are incredible hard to accomplish. Or, viceversa. Are difficult to explain yet take a couple of days to implement.
  • Also, have that person around to validate what work your hires do. A good developer can spot shady code in one second.

And

• What's cheaper? One developer for $10/hour for 1-2 years (or worse, one of those $150 - $300 one payment projects) whose code nobody understands or one developer at $25-$30 for 2-3 months (with "real" English comments and a good structure of his code). Yeah. You actually save money.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS