🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Ended Contract Payment Policies
Page options
kelvinnjiru84
Community Member

Ended Contract Payment Policies

Just recently, I hired a freelancer for a project that I was working on. But unfortunately, the freelancer was not ready to comply with terms after submitting the first draft, which was not according to my expectations.

So my concern is, what happens to the funds in the escrow. I tried applying for a refund but it seems that the option is not there.

Will I get a refund or the funds will be released to the freelancer?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "However,  what happens when they do not accept the refund?"

That possibility is why you should ask them informally, via messaging, before you click the button that causes them to be asked by Upwork's system.

You want to get them agree to the refund first, before they see the official request from Upwork.

If they won't agree to a complete refund, then you can work out a compromise. Perhaps you can get half of the escrow money back, for example.

If the freelancer is honorable and amenable, then he WILL agree to refund a percentage of the money equivalent to the percentage of the job that has not yet been completed.

As a client, you know that the fastest way to close a contract and end things completely is to release all remaining escrow money while closing the contract. If you do that, there is nothing the freelancer can do about it. This is often the smartest and most efficient business decision, because it means you don't need to spend any more time or effort on an underperforming freelancer.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

You can ask the freelancer to agree to a refund. Then you close the contract and while you do so, you have the opportunity to ask for a refund.

This sends a request to the freelancer. The freelancer clicks a button to authorize the refund. Then the money returns to your funding account automatically within five business days.

It is actually very simple, and can be done without contacting customer support.

Thank you for your input. However,  what happens when they do not accept the refund?

Kelvin G wrote:

Thank you for your input. However,  what happens when they do not accept the refund?

Then it goes to dispute

re: "However,  what happens when they do not accept the refund?"

That possibility is why you should ask them informally, via messaging, before you click the button that causes them to be asked by Upwork's system.

You want to get them agree to the refund first, before they see the official request from Upwork.

If they won't agree to a complete refund, then you can work out a compromise. Perhaps you can get half of the escrow money back, for example.

If the freelancer is honorable and amenable, then he WILL agree to refund a percentage of the money equivalent to the percentage of the job that has not yet been completed.

As a client, you know that the fastest way to close a contract and end things completely is to release all remaining escrow money while closing the contract. If you do that, there is nothing the freelancer can do about it. This is often the smartest and most efficient business decision, because it means you don't need to spend any more time or effort on an underperforming freelancer.

Yes, I figured that out, and asked them politely via messaging. I promised to leave positive feedback for them though. Now I have to wait for their actions. Thank you, Preston.

Kelvin G wrote:

I promised to leave positive feedback for them though. Now I have to wait for their actions. Thank you, Preston.

That is a terms of service violation. 

Promising positive (and dishonest) feedback in exchange for a refund is forbidden.

If I were your freelancer, I would report you straight away. 

Thank you for letting me know! At least I'm assured that my money is safe now.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths