🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Escrow REFUND
Page options
e9ff31f7
Community Member

Escrow REFUND

Hello UPWORK,

I need to request an ESCROW REFUND because unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances, I must cancel this contract and request a full refund for all the automatic billing that Upwork has made to my credit card. As a business, I am not ready to move forward with this aspect of our business at this time and therefore I cannot begin and move forward with this freelancer.  Thank you for understanding and as soon as we are able to move forward with this new business development, we will proceed with rehiring this freelancer here on Upwork as we are confident that this freelancer is indeed the perfect hire for this job. Thank you for understanding.  I need that UPWORK refunds me for: $3960.  The Freelancer has not even billed or clocked any hours for this job and yet my credit card has been billed without my authorization. Please HELP. Thank you.  Cheers! Brianna Meighan

2 REPLIES 2
AndreaG

Hi Brianna, 

I checked and it looks like you're referring to an Hourly Contract, please know that Escrow Refunds refer to funds in Escrow for Fixed Priced Contracts. I can see you were able to communicate with one of our agents and request a refund from the freelancer. If you need any further assistance please let us know!

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

David: You set up a $495 weekly retainer on this contract.

That has nothing to do with escrow.

I hope you get money back. $3960 is a lot of money.

But you should know:

It is NOT Upwork's intention that clients EVER receive retainer money back.

You really need to be careful with this sort of thing. You should look up definitions and articles that explain what a retainer is.

It is likely that Upwork doesn't have any control over that money any more.

The FIRST thing you should do is apologize to the freelancer and ask him to please refund that money to you. If he doesn't, then try to work through Upwork. Be polite and gracious. This is an extraordinary, unusual request.

But don't count on getting retainer money back. For any client reading this thread my advice is: Check your credit card statements every week. Never plan on getting money BACK from a freelancer. Especially retainer money. Never set up a contract to pay out a weekly retainer unless you KNOW that you want to pay out weekly retainer money that you will never get back for any reason no matter what.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths