Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Escrow issue, and scam from both freelancer and Upwork

Highlighted
Johann C Member Since: Aug 1, 2017
1 of 25

hi,

I have 25 positive reviews, and for first time i get a seriopsu issue with a new freelancer with a such bad faith i have never seen.

He delivered a 100% non conform job, and this is easy to see.

Upwork says : you must reach agreement, and we can't reach any

Client and freelancer have to pay each 290 for arbitration ?

I'm now goign to use paypal 3rd party services to get funds from upwork by force...

Any clue, or tip ?

This situation is unacceptable !

For now, I'm obliged to never use again escrow services, avoid new freelancers, and will probably build a competing freelancer platform as there is too many things tat are not correct are upàwork, icluding fees for service given...

Thanks

Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
2 of 25

@Johann C wrote:

hi,

I have 25 positive reviews, and for first time i get a seriopsu issue with a new freelancer with a such bad faith i have never seen.

He delivered a 100% non conform job, and this is easy to see.

Upwork says : you must reach agreement, and we can't reach any

Client and freelancer have to pay each 290 for arbitration ?

I'm now goign to use paypal 3rd party services to get funds from upwork by force...

Any clue, or tip ?

This situation is unacceptable !

For now, I'm obliged to never use again escrow services, avoid new freelancers, and will probably build a competing freelancer platform as there is too many things tat are not correct are upàwork, icluding fees for service given...

Thanks

So I take it your new platform will not be using escrow as a means of securing payments to freelancers?

3 of 25

What i will do is top secret.

Can anyone answer my question ?

Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
4 of 25

@Johann C wrote:

What i will do is top secret.

Can anyone answer my question ?

Great.

I just hope all the clients and freelancers on your platform will be told upfront that unlike the way things work on Upwork, where everything is out in the open, all your payment processes are top secret.

5 of 25

I have mentioned that such upwork platform is unfair, and too expensive, we see it when all works well, and when it does not work well.

As a consequence, there is a place for another freelancer marketplace, upwork has several disadvantages, and conception issues.

Being peaced off by such situation, i said I could/would build a similar platform, which does not mean i will.

What is secret is my decision to do the project, and how i would make all thsi working in details.

There is nothing tha thas been said, that says transactions would be secret.

I understand that you are eager to know more, but let stay each of us objective, and talking of the initial concern, which is the dispute with someone non faithfull, and upwork passive role in this case.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
6 of 25

Hi Johann,

I'm sorry your contract with the freelancer didn't turn out well. I understand you're not satisfied with the work they delivered but can confirm you'll need to discuss this with your freelancer directly and try to resolve the problem amicably.

If you can't agree on the solution, you can file a dispute, go through mediation and finally have a third party arbitration service review the case and make a final judgment. In that case, each of the dispute parties and Upwork will share the arbitration cost equally ($291 each). You can find more information in Upwork Fixed-Price Escrow Instructions.

7 of 25

Freelancer is not of good faith, and this is obvious when analyzing advert and what was delivered, this is not conform, and freelancer is not able to recognize it.

It is such a shame to have to pay such big amount for arbitration, since, huge fees was paid already to upwork for contract...

Byex, Paypal is a real third party guarantee for online payments , and for arbitration, you don't have to pay extra fees...

Upwork should have made arbitration based on fees of contract.

This is all I have to say.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 25

There are indeed fake freelancers who come to Upwork and scam clients.

But Upwork does not scam people.

Upwork is a platform and tool that works hard to create a safe way to conduct business.

When a client uses the tool as intended, it is essentially impossible to get scammed.

9 of 25

'fake freelancers'

I would say bad freelancers or scammer

Upwork does nothing in its current terms to protect client from being scammed... 

We client, are the one who feeds financially your business model. This is how we are considered ?!

We were recommending upwork to our clients, since you're unable to solve issue, we now count on paypal, we are going yo write situation we met, and trherefore do not recomend upwork anymore...

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
10 of 25

Yes, I usually call them "scammers."

I am not sure why you would say clients are not protected. Clients do not pay money to freelancers up front. They put money into an escrow account that the CLIENT controls. The client can get the money back if the freelancer does not do the work. The client has two full weeks to review the work before releasing payment or rejecting the work.

With hourly work clients can review the work. Can review screenshots of the work being done. Clients are allowed to NOT PAY for time spent working if that work was not on their project or if the freelancer logged time manually without using the tool that demonstrates their activity.

Clients are allowed to end contracts at any time, for any reason. Clients can set any number of maximum hours per week... As few as one hour. Clients can pause a contract at any time.

I feel bad that you experienced a scammer here on Upwork. But I struggle to understand how anyone could say clients don't have protection. On Upwork, clients essentially have all the power, which is as it should be.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS