Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evaluation Task to find good development company

nagdawi
Mohammad A Member Since: Sep 23, 2016
1 of 11

Hi freelancers

I hire an indian company to develop a website for classified ads but it takes so long time and not finish yet. Therefore I decide to find a new company to do this work but I don't want to face the same situation again.

This my post: **Edited for Community Guidelines**

I think about request evaluation task to find truly good company. can anyone suggest a small and effective task that my help me to find what I looking for?

any advice I will appreciate.

Thanks

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 11

@Mohammad A wrote:

I think about request evaluation task to find truly good company.

You do mean HIRING (and paying) freelancers for your "evaluation task," right?

nagdawi
3 of 11

yes

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 11

The first step I think would get someone (not a competitor freelancer) such as a PM to help you at least get a shortlist. They can help you write the RFP, suggest a budget, weed through the scammers with stolen portfolio items, identify people who don't have the experience they claim to have, and do a little research to find the good ones. Maybe help you invite people.

Once you have the few that you're interested in, then you can take the next step to do something. The PM should know what to ask for since you obviously don't know.

And yeah, you need to pay them.

nagdawi
5 of 11

Thanks for your reply.

but you doesn't ans my question. 

I think about evaluation task.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
6 of 11

Mohammad, as you have always planned to pay developers for the "evaluation task," I think you would be making a mistake if you imagined some kind of task that is not really part of your project.

You would be better off picking a small chunk of the project, a part that can be adequately described in isolation and done within anywhere from one to three hours, and assigning that task to the 4 to 8 prospective developers that you hire on a test basis.

You do not need to tell them that they are being hired on a trial basis. It will be better if you don't tell them. You will actually hire them to do this task. Not to do the whole project, just this task. That way you will not get a distorted view of what they are capable of.

And you will actually get the work done, presumably, if any of them turn in usable work. And I'm sure that a certain percentage will turn in good work.

Your project manager will look at the work all of them did. What is the quality? Is the code maintainable? How much of the task did they complete in the 2 hour maximum allowable time? Did they complete the task in one hour and ask what you need next? Did they complete only 20% of the task and then tell you they need more time?

Evaluating what they did on the task that can actually be used on your project, while you are paying them as if this is a real job and not a tryout for something more, will provide you with all the information you need about which of them to hire to continue working on the whole project.

View solution in original post

nagdawi
7 of 11

thanks for your reply.

What about evaluating development company?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 11

re: "What about evaluating development company?"

It is not possible to evaluate a company ahead of time for something like this.

You are referring to a company or agency which has multiple people working for it. Each of the individuals working for that organization has different levels of skill and expertise, different workloads, different degrees of professionalism. There is no way to know ahead of time who will be working on your project.

If you tell a company that you are having them work on a test/evaluation task, then they will put their best person on this monor task, in order to impress you. But when you actually hire the company to work on the project, maybe they'll have that new kid - the boss's nephew - be the only person who works on your project. No offense meant, but the only reason he's here is because his wife would not stop pestering him about it. Fine. I'll give him a job. But I don't have time to hold his hand and teach how to do this kind of thing. Most of the people I've got working with me have experience or went to school to learn this stuff. He can look stuff up on Facebook, I guess, as long as he stays out of my way.

gerrys
Community Guru
Gerry S Member Since: Nov 23, 2014
9 of 11

It's obvious.

Everyone's telling you to hire a project manager to find a project manager...

nagdawi
10 of 11

Maybe!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS