cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extending a contract deadline

Highlighted
Jeff S Member Since: Mar 12, 2014
1 of 7

my contract with a freelancer has expired, but I want to extend the deadline. How do I get that done?

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 7

Hi Jeff,

Since due to Escrow regulations Upwork isn't able to keep funds in Escrow accounts indefinitely, actions need to be taken on milestones that's been funded for more than 90 days. It looks like a couple of your older contracts were automatically closed for that reason. You can always re-hire the freelancers right from your Jobs page once you are ready to continue.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Leader
Sagar S Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
3 of 7

Hi Jeff,

If you want to hire the freelancer again. Do the following steps:

Go To your dashboard. In The POSTING section Click on RECENTLY FILLED

Then click on the job title you want to reopen

Then click on VIEW CONTRACT

Then click on REHIRE button.

That's it.

Hope it helps

Thanks

Sagar

Highlighted
Jeff S Member Since: Mar 12, 2014
4 of 7

I followed your steps but there is no button for "Rehire" Only view request and then it shows me where the freelancer has a few days to dispute. 

I have found a button that has rehire on it but it wants to start a whole new job. I just want to extend the one I already had. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 7

This means the contract has already been closed.

Really it isn't fair to have a hired freelancer work on a contract for 3 months without any payment, however small....

I would suggest you rehire your freelancer on a new contract and set smaller, more regular milestones so this does not happen again! Please also make an appropriate payment on the recently ended contract, so the freelancer does not end up with a "nothing paid" contract on their account.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
6 of 7

Correct, Jeff, once a contract is closed, there is no option to extend it. However, you can re-hire a freelancer for a new contract any time.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 7

What do you mean by "the contract has expired?"

the deadline Ines you initially set is reasonably meaningless. It is a guideline and has no effect on the contract outcome and does not make it "expire"

the only way a fixed rate contract "expires" is if there is no activity (payments or new milestones) for three months, in which case you can just make a payment.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS