🐈
» Forums » Clients » FUNDS ARE NOT BEING RELEASED
Page options
7b449629
Community Member

FUNDS ARE NOT BEING RELEASED

Yesterday I got an invite by a client for a dissertation writing job. It was meant to be done super urgently, within 12 hours. I started working on it. During the job I texted the client many times to ask about a few things but he never responded despite viewing my messages ( I know this because I texted him on his Whatsapp).It seemed that he knew nothing about the project and was unable to reply. He came just before the submission and asked for the work. I did it on time and submitted it. After that it turns out that the client is an agent for a private writing agency and he posts jobs for his agency. He is saying that he'll release the money after his client approves the document. These things were not mentioned in the contract earlier. He said that he can't decide if my work is good or not, my client's client has submitted the work to the tutor and will approve the release after we get feedback from the tutor. I think I should get paid because I did my job and never worked on this condition that I'll get money after some third persons approval. Why is my payment supposed to be released after the approval of a client I didn't even work for? Is there any Upwork policy for clients like him?
5 REPLIES 5
sjbercot
Community Member

The client has 14 days to review the work and either release the funds or ask for revisions and restart the dealine. So while I know it's frustrating that you were unaware of this third party's approval, the client does have the right to review your work before paying. 

You mentioned a tutor, is this a disssertation for a school project? You should be aware that doing academic writing for students is academic fraud and against the platform ToS, so you do want to make sure you're not engaged in academic fraud.

Hi Sarah!
I did not know that it was meant to be done for a school student and was to be approved by his tutor.
I did the work by thinking of it as research writing.

Yeah, I know it's not always clear that it's for a student, especially in the academic writing field! I don't know what your pre-contract conversations look like, but it's always a good idea to ask a lot of questions to very thoroughly vet clients before taking on a contract, so you don't get caught up in something that could risk your Upwork account. 

Also is it right for clients to post jobs for their agencies?
Is there any Upwork policy on this specific matter?
JoanneP

Hi Shawana,

Sarah is right. Please note that requesting the creation of content that violates academic integrity and academic policies of any educational institution is prohibited on Upwork. For more information please refer to article 4.1. Prohibited Site Uses of Upwork TOS.

Please feel free to share the contract ID so I can also check. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths