cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake Accounts

Rajen G Member Since: May 31, 2016
1 of 19

Hi,

i am having difficulty finding someone that is actually who they say they are.

I have had talks with 4 different individuals now, all of whom say they are from Canada or the United States, and all of whom have indicated a name that is clearly not theirs.

one freelancer has the name Justin Bieber. There are also individuals using images of famous people as their profile picture.

Is there a way to verfiy freelance?

I am having a hard time believing the freelancer profiles anymore.

This widget could not be displayed.
2 of 19
This widget could not be displayed.

@Rajen G wrote:

Hi,

i am having difficulty finding someone that is actually who they say they are.

I have had talks with 4 different individuals now, all of whom say they are from Canada or the United States, and all of whom have indicated a name that is clearly not theirs.

one freelancer has the name Justin Bieber. There are also individuals using images of famous people as their profile picture.

Is there a way to verfiy freelance?

I am having a hard time believing the freelancer profiles anymore.

You can report each profile/freelancer that is fake.

Maybe Justin Bieber is freelancing aside on Upwork when he is short of money... Woman Wink

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
3 of 19

Rajen, you should report these freelancers and send the links to their profiles to customer support:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Community Guru
Oreofe J Member Since: May 8, 2015
4 of 19

Rajen, It's good you are sharing this but I can assure you that there are real freelancers here too.

One thing you might want to do before wasting time is to either ask for help from an UW project coordinator ( I think I have been apporached by a couple of them recently) or where the project needs someone with experience , research the past jobs successfully completed on the profiles.

In conclusion , sometimes names are not a guarantee that the freelancer is not legit.

There might be a 'Justin Bieber' on the platform for real and  while his talent might not be in the singing arena , he might just be good at what he says he is when  you check his work history.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 19

Rajen:

All levity aside, this is a serious matter for Upwork. Your encounter of 4 fake freelancers in a row is not normal, and I'm sorry you encountered that.

I would advise you to only work with people whose identities you can trust, because contractors who use fake photos or fake identities are usually scammers who do not care about a client's project. They typically are only using "throw-away" identities and will log time on your bill without actually doing any work.

For your first projects on Upwork, you may want to stick with contractors who have an established track record, with many projects completed.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
6 of 19

Besides what Preston said, Job Success is something you should look at -- top rated is nice but freelancers drop in & out of that category, and same can be said for rising talent. But Job Success minimum 80% should be a safe bet.

7 of 19

Say that a "voice" interview will be required on your job post.

Eliminates many who can't fake an accent (or not).

Bonus: you may find out it's "all" lies.

(Though I have seen jobs on UpWork for interview "stand-ins" ...)

(UpWork could start "tracking" IP addresses ... like, freelancer is currently "on the road" in [....] while "residing" in Canada / USA)

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
8 of 19

Justin Beiber from India. Seems legit.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 19

Let me point out that as a client, I LIKE to work with a mix of experienced Upwork contractors as well as new contractors. I intentionally hire some contractors who have no previous Upwork experience, and sometimes I find great talent among these newbies.

But I know how Upwork works. I don't advise a newbie client to start out by hiring contractors without Upwork experience. They both might be well-intentioned, but neither know how to use the interface and they might make some mistakes that can otherwise be avoided. And a worse possible scenario involves a newbie client who doesn't recognize the signs of a scammer freelancer with a fake account.

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
10 of 19

@Gerry S wrote:

Say that a "voice" interview will be required on your job post.

Eliminates many who can't fake an accent (or not).

Bonus: you may find out it's "all" lies.

(Though I have seen jobs on UpWork for interview "stand-ins" ...)

(UpWork could start "tracking" IP addresses ... like, freelancer is currently "on the road" in [....] while "residing" in Canada / USA)

Unfortunately an IP address is a very unreliable way to determine someone's location - very easy to spoof and hard to detect fakes, even with technology specifically designed as "proxy piercing" technology. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS