🐈
» Forums » Clients » Fake Accounts
Page options
6a6fc66f
Community Member

Fake Accounts

Hi,

i am having difficulty finding someone that is actually who they say they are.

I have had talks with 4 different individuals now, all of whom say they are from Canada or the United States, and all of whom have indicated a name that is clearly not theirs.

one freelancer has the name Justin Bieber. There are also individuals using images of famous people as their profile picture.

Is there a way to verfiy freelance?

I am having a hard time believing the freelancer profiles anymore.

44 REPLIES 44
ee75aee2
Community Member

I think upwork security system gets weaker than previous one. Previous one is better than now.

allengcs
Community Member

This continues to be a huge problem with upwork.  Almost all of the 'north american' based bidders end up either being a front for an overseas person who is doing the actual work or someone who has figured out how to convince upwork they are in the US even though they are overseas.  We recently had a 'US only' posting that of the 20 or so bidders, exactly none were actually in the US.  'Can you point your webcam outside?  can you show me the power sockets in your house?', these are some of the things we have to ask now as its gotten so ridiculous.  And yes, we have reported them all along with the evidence.

0e6a5c04
Community Member

I am seeing the same thing. I'm wasting very valuable time trying to interview people who end up being fake profiles with fake stories. And Upwork has the audecity to now start chraging a new fixed fee for every new contract clients create, starting April 2023? ridicuilous. Looks like compliance department is doing a pretty mediocre job. 

17e529a3
Community Member

I basically hop on calls with everyone and require video to be on. 9/10 they stop replying, the ones that do join usually say their camera is broken lol. I would say about 2-5% of applicants are who they say they are. I've hired 30+ people, and reviewed 500+ applications for pool size of my experience.

Your statistic is wrong. I never enabling camera. Also i prefer text because my english no so good. So my account is fake? 😁

Latest Articles
Learning Paths