Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake Chinese Freelancers

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
21 of 55

David A wrote:

Yes, the candidate had the check mark that he was phone verified and video verified.

All candidates we interviewed have been verified.

Not only that, the candates have all earned over $10K on Upwork. Many have earned many times that.

I no longer think Upwork Verification is worth anything. Thats bothers me.

That bothers me as well, as a freelancer, because I depend on the platform for a fair portion of my business. I'm aware there are freelancers who borrow or buy profiles from North American and European freelancers, with promises of easy money for no work, but didn't think enough freelancers would fall for the scam to be significant; they're scams because most probably someone who rips off clients isn't going to make promised payments to freelancers they borrow profiles from, and even if they did, the scammed freelancer probably gets nothing because they'll be stuck with the tax bill, unless they're also tax cheats.

Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
22 of 55

John K wrote:

David A wrote:

Yes, the candidate had the check mark that he was phone verified and video verified.

All candidates we interviewed have been verified.

Not only that, the candates have all earned over $10K on Upwork. Many have earned many times that.

I no longer think Upwork Verification is worth anything. Thats bothers me.

That bothers me as well, as a freelancer, because I depend on the platform for a fair portion of my business. I'm aware there are freelancers who borrow or buy profiles from North American and European freelancers, with promises of easy money for no work, but didn't think enough freelancers would fall for the scam to be significant; they're scams because most probably someone who rips off clients isn't going to make promised payments to freelancers they borrow profiles from, and even if they did, the scammed freelancer probably gets nothing because they'll be stuck with the tax bill, unless they're also tax cheats.

To me, it's not that this bothers me, it's that it seems embarrassing!
When is Upwork going to realize that he has to do a thorough cleaning?
Will it be when customers leave because the platform no longer deserves their trust?
Then it will be late, because they will not get those customers to come back.
And, that's not fine:
- To depend on clients and freelancers to do the cleaning.
- To accept profiles automatically.
- To change the location of freelancers who "made a mistake" when choosing their country, or who created the account "yesterday" when they still lived in the USA (for example) and "today" live in India (for example).

Highlighted
Patrick M Member Since: Dec 14, 2015
23 of 55

it is definitely a problem and a concern for me. All I can say is that I have gotten pretty good at recognizing the tell-tale signs that a person is not who he/she says he is. 

Since I do a lot of Shopify work, I can see the IP address from which a freelancer logs in to their staff account. thats giveaway #1. 

#2 is a profile photo that seems to be clearly a stock photo (I am always a bit perplaxed that these photos can't be clicked to enlarge). Clean cut white backgrounds are too obvious. 

#3. Reviews show some inconsistencies - a couple of "He"'s and a random "She" in there. I have seen it. 

#4. Refusal to have a video chat or a bunch of excuses why not. 

#5. refusal to use the time tracker on jobs citing glitches and asking for manual time (although this is likely a side hustle not related to fake profiles) 

#6. Believe it or not, there are geographical phraseology indiosyncracies  that can crop up as well. 

I am always skeptical which is why I tend to revert back to my reliable go-to programmers.  

Highlighted
steve r Member Since: Nov 2, 2018
24 of 55

thank actually some good tips, the stock photo and now i do manual time, at least to be sure they are being honest with the work they do. It will be a good idea if when app takes snapshot it would be possible to get some settings from the conmputer about language and location that only employers can see..

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
25 of 55

Hi David,

I'm sorry about your experience with this freelancer. Our team will reach out to you directly via a support ticket and assist you to find the best talent for your next project.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Andrei T Member Since: Aug 30, 2016
26 of 55

Have them use the time tracker tool. That's one step, but a more efficient method is to communicate with your freelancers as often as possible. Ask for daily status reports and have at least 3-4 calls per week. You'll be able to tell if the person changes voice/looks etc. even if it's not a video call.

Also monitor results as closely as possible. 

Highlighted
David A Member Since: May 9, 2018
27 of 55

Andrei,

Thanks, but we communicate with our freelancers many times per day. Each day at stand up and during the day working with them.

We don't just let people run on their own until they get our trust.

You're right about the time tool. That was a oversight -- or more accurately, we let the freelancer pull one over on us. He claimed he couldn't use the tool at first for some reason, and we didn't fight with him on the subject (live and learn). He then ran a truck through with manual logging by claiming illnesses and then logging big time at the end of the week...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda F Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
28 of 55

Well said Virginia! Would give you more kudos if I could!

Highlighted
Community Guru
John B Member Since: Aug 20, 2015
29 of 55

Virginia, my business take on this is that Upwork processes 100s of thousands (perhaps millions?) of Freelancer applications per year.

How would a corporation enact what you suggested?   By limiting the applications to a certain quota?  By excluding specific countries?

Upwork is naturally sensitive to their bottom line.  They are a publically traded company. In the past couple of years, their bottom line has been less than desirable. Cents per share earnings.  This is probably a contributing factor to the recent replacement of the CEO with internal talent.

Without any particular attachments of personal nature to the platform engaged, my heart goes out to Upwork's head of Trust and Safety department.   On the hiring side, he has fake hiring clients trying to pick off new comers with the prevalent Google Hangouts scam.  The problem indicated in this thread is surely known and most probably the source of hotly contested debate as to what to do about it.

We have a quarter-million-a-year corporation working with the general public in ways that involve serious amounts of money.  That equals "prime-time target".  Perhaps we can ease our frustrations with the knowledge if this platform did not exist, exactly where would we go to gain commensurate access to global talent within a system that basically works as billed.

I have often asked myself, if I were a contractor in a country that was over-run with talent. **Edited for Community Guidelines** And struggling to pay my rent, or feed my family, or gain access to even modest wealth known to exist elsewhere in the world.

To what extent would I be tempted to circumvent rules and seek to gain work that paid for my rent, food, and well being.  Fortunately, I do not have to find out.  Sadly, others do face that test of morals and ethics.  It must be a hard one.

John.

Highlighted
steve r Member Since: Nov 2, 2018
30 of 55
Hello John, on the other hand the fake programmer who were hired to do a
job, who are not qualified to get the job done, make excuses for not
completing the work.you are only excusing bad behavior in the name of
compassion. What if they went out and robbed someone on the street because
they needed the money. because when the lie about their location, ethnicity,
skill in order to get a job.it's just as bad and also goes against UPWORKS
terms of service. I do wish it would be easier to find honest and competent
programmers on this platform, unfortunately it's up to us in the end.

This post has been going for over 6 years and people are still complaining
about the same issue..
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS