cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake Chinese Freelancers

Highlighted
steve r Member Since: Nov 2, 2018
41 of 55

I can create any job and find fake profiles easily... its not just a few accounts.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
42 of 55

steve r wrote:

I can create any job and find fake profiles easily... its not just a few accounts.

Many of us freelancers have asked Upwork to stop "auto-accepting" profiles to improve the verification process at the very start ... that suggestion falls on deaf ears. It's not easy reading this thread ... in fact, it's infuriating.

Highlighted
43 of 55

So completley agree with you, I posted this so long ago and people are still reporting the same issues. Im wondering appart from increasing our fees for service, where is the value proposition....

When will upwork fix this issue once and for all, reported as long as 5 years ago...and still no solution...

Highlighted
44 of 55

Hello Ethan I started this post a few years back, when i discovered exactly the same issue, and in my case ALL the developers were CHINESE, chinese germans, chinese russians, chinese ukrainians...

Upwork promised to look into it and improve the verification process, but in the end I guess no follow up and not supprised , no result either.

Fees have increased and customer service has diminished.

Sorry to hear about your problems, but you will find many such as me, who has experienced fake profiles, if they fake information about themselves , who can we trust the integrity of their work?

The best solution i have is to arrance a voice call with them, generally they cant fake an accent and know very little about the country listed in thier profile. That is the only solution i have found to this problem for now...

Highlighted
Samuel M Member Since: Oct 10, 2019
45 of 55
I got the same. I wasted hours while looking for a mobile dev with these fake profile (at least 5).
I don't mind hiring Chinese at all, but what I don't understand is why do they need to take such effort to lie? One told me that Chinese are no longer accepted on upwork because of Trump ban. Obviously a lie, but I really need to understand their motivation.
Highlighted
46 of 55

I find the Trump Ban funny, its easy to blame someone else, anyway on mobile developers have had very good luck with india and even paskistan, genereally better with individuuals.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
47 of 55

re: "Obviously a lie, but I really need to understand their motivation."

Their motivation is money.

They think they can earn more money by posing as Americans or Europeans.

Highlighted
Uri M Member Since: Mar 13, 2020
48 of 55

Preston H wrote:

re: "Obviously a lie, but I really need to understand their motivation."

Their motivation is money.

They think they can earn more money by posing as Americans or Europeans.

That's totaly missing the point. These frauds dont have the skills they claim on the profile. If you saw their 'real' profile they would be too junior to hire for the job you need.

Frankly I dont care why they are motivated to cheat. They steal our most precious commodity, Our time! Both in interviewing all these fakes before finding a genuine prospect and in getting scammed and having to fire them because they just arent up to the job, then starting the hiring process all over again.

It's in Upwork's best interest to helps save that time or, eventually, we'll lose trust and find another platform.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
49 of 55

re: "Frankly I dont care why they are motivated to cheat."

I'm certainly not excusing any freelancers who are cheating. Somebody asked why they do it, and I answered that person's question. That's all.

You are correct in your view that it doesn't really matter WHY they are cheating system. If somebody steals $500 from you... does it REALLY matter if they did it because they don't like you personally, or because they don't like your mom, or because they wanted to buy an XBox?

Highlighted
Uri M Member Since: Mar 13, 2020
50 of 55

Preston H wrote:

re: "Frankly I dont care why they are motivated to cheat."

... Somebody asked why they do it, and I answered that person's question. That's all...

Your answer was what I was addressing. If the person had the skills I needed and wanted more money by pretending to be from somewhere else then I wouldn't have fired them. I fired them because they didnt have the skill. I would not have hired them if I saw their real profile.

That is the reason they are motivated to cheat.

The rest about not caring about the motivation was a rant about the situation.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS