Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake Chinese Freelancers

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
51 of 55

I do not blame you for being frustrated.

Upwork is the industry leader, and thus the biggest target of cheaters.

It's an "arms race." Upwork adds new security and identification verification protocols, and cheaters work their way around them.

Obvously Upwork doesn't WANT to have any clients disappointed by their experiences hiring freelancers. But you are quite correct in understanding that despite Upwork's efforts, it does not provide guarantees.

Highlighted
steve r Member Since: Nov 2, 2018
52 of 55

Hello Uri, Its true the fake programmers just want to get hired, regauirless of skill level or their ability to do the job. They will however make up every excuse while they ate getting paid to do a job.

Highlighted
Uri M Member Since: Mar 13, 2020
53 of 55

Hi Steve,

Exactly why I want to avoid them!

Two recent examples:
job1: 81 proposals , 9 shortlist, 5 interviewd(before I started demaning video), ALL were chinese posing as Europeans. Didnt hire anyone. Posted job2 instead.
job2: 55 proposals, 8 shortlisted. 6 refused video call. Remaining 2, we'll see when I interview them.

The noise to signal ratio is terrible. How am I supposed to find the good freelancers I know are out there?

This is why I was calling out Upwork on their Gatekeeping. What are they doing to get these frauds off of their platform? Making it easy to find and hire great freelancers is at the heart of Upwork's value prop. Right now they are failing!

Highlighted
Parth L Member Since: May 12, 2019
54 of 55

Hi Ethan, 

There are lot of genuine programmers available who suffered due to this kind of fake profile.

Regards,

Parth

Highlighted
Wendel M Member Since: Mar 25, 2020
55 of 55

Hello Ethan, 

Kudos for this post.

I have been a member for over five years but busy with full-time teaching and other tutoring and coaching activities have just begun to seriously use Upwork and Freelancer to prospect. 

"Out of the blue" I received a solicitation from a Freelancer client who was looking for a "partner" in the US to help him develop his web business.and paying $250 for the "partnership." Wanting to know what that entailed, I Skyped chatted the guy and he emailed me his proposal.

The long and short of it was that he wanted to pay someone in the US to give him a false US identity by allowing him to use an account in their name. Not being really conversant with what currently goes at Upworks at Freelancer regarding this I had no idea what either of  their policy on fake or dummy accounts was.

Your post did me a big favor. I will mail this guy and say, "Thank you, but too busy. You might consider moving to the US."

Best regards,

Wendel  

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS