cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake Contractor Profile

Highlighted
Nugroho I Member Since: Nov 21, 2014
1 of 23

I have spotted some of the contractors are fake. I got a lot of application that their profile are UK/US/Canada. But if you can research their profile, you can found in the google that they are fake. 

One example is:

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Which is a counterfeit of: **edited for Community Guidelines**

She don't work at odesk. 

Also I found some of the profile picture is from random guy whos name is different. 

This thing insults me. All I want to ask to Odesk is to filter the trash out. 

As the standard goes up (minimum $3/hour) Odesk should upgrade their screening system too.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
2 of 23

Wow what a complete fraud! Let's hope the fake person is purged from oDesk. I don't know how the fraudster did it but I wonder how she was able to withdraw money. More so, her portfolio contains a link which is not permitted to be there but no one in oDesk checked that? This is a NEW low for oDesk.I'm beyond incensed.

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Highlighted
Community Guru
Junelle A Member Since: May 31, 2009
3 of 23

sadly, this does happen. i'm a subscriber to another writer's blog/newsletter and this same thing happened to her, except her profile was posted in Elance.

oDesk has ID verification in place and i think that's one way to filter out the frauds. you could probably use that tool and require only ID verified contractors to apply to your job posts.

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain." - Maya Angelou
Try harder, or care less.
Highlighted
Alberto V Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
4 of 23

The main issue is that oDesk has not the correct behaviour against frauds & scammers.

oDesk collaborates with them, covering their lack of skill.

I had a bad freelance experience and oDesk blocked my negative feedback about him.

I am waiting an answer to my claim from 6 months and my negative feedback cannot appear on his profile.

This is not the right way of working.

oDesk canceled the confidence of clients about this way of hiring freelancers.

oDesk destroyed his business.

Highlighted
Karol M Member Since: Dec 17, 2015
5 of 23

I also just had a bad experience, and he left me a really bad review.  I did you go about having Upwork cancel the feedback?

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
6 of 23

Hi Karol,

Upwork team will not be able to revise or remove feedback unless it's in clear violation of the Feedback Policies. However, you can enable the freelancer to change the feedback once you communicate and resolve the issues you were having.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Karol M Member Since: Dec 17, 2015
7 of 23

He did the following things, which are clear violations of upwork policy

1. He has a fake profile, name, and picture(which he admitted)

2. He left me negative feedback only because I wouldn't send him a screenshot of the feeback I left him

I realy question I have is how long does upwork take to repond to tickets.  Because I out of 10 reviews, his is the only negative one I have.  And it is a stupid negative comment.. it just says "Bad Drunk".  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 23

Karol, thank you for reporting this contractor.

I hope he is removed from the site.

Either of the things he did should result in termination of his account, whether it is using a fake identity or his arrest at feedback manipulation.

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
9 of 23

Hi Karol,

I'm really sorry to hear you had a bad experience with your freelancer. I checked and see our team is reviewing the evidence you submitted yesterday, so please keep checking your open ticket for updates.

Thank you.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
10 of 23

Thank you for your report Nugroho,

I checked and it looks like our Marketplace Quality Team has already taken actions against the account you reported. We will make sure it doesn't show publicly in search.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS