cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Fake profile reviews of top freelancers?

Highlighted
Community Leader
Joseph G Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
21 of 28

Hi, i would like to answer this question

"Would upwork consider allowing any registered user (eg, myself) with a real profile to write an HONEST and FAIR review on a freelancer on upwork?"

1, You are violating terms and conditions of upwork by (stealing) upwork proffesionals and paying them outside upwork.

2, Coming to your question, Upwork has considererd all registererd users to leave feedback at the end of each project. This is when you are closing the project. Both the freelancer and the client has the option to leave feedback. The mistake you are making is to hire sombody outside upwork. One can work freely unprofesional because they know you will not leave any feedback on upwork.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Goodluck!

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
22 of 28

Oh what a tangled web we weave.....

And freely admitting to violation the TOC's.....oh me...oh my....

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
23 of 28

@Joseph G wrote:

Hi, i would like to answer this question

"Would upwork consider allowing any registered user (eg, myself) with a real profile to write an HONEST and FAIR review on a freelancer on upwork?"

1, You are violating terms and conditions of upwork by (stealing) upwork proffesionals and paying them outside upwork.

2, Coming to your question, Upwork has considererd all registererd users to leave feedback at the end of each project. This is when you are closing the project. Both the freelancer and the client has the option to leave feedback. The mistake you are making is to hire sombody outside upwork. One can work freely unprofesional because they know you will not leave any feedback on upwork. 

Goodluck!

While you are giving advice about TOS, you need to be aware you can't advertise yourself to clients on the forum.

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
24 of 28

All I hope is that this so-called 'client' is given his marching orders. I would hate to see some hapless freelancer come to grief after being hired by someone so unscrupulous.

Shane F Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
25 of 28

But point here is not about the existing Upwork TOC, its about whether upwork would consider allowing someone to post reviews on a freelancer who they have hired or worked with OUTSIDE of upwork.

Upwork TOC is about Upwork's EXISTING policy, not about whether upwork would consider MODIFYING the existing policy to allow other registered users to submit their reviews. Do you understand the difference?

Why would upwork want to consider this proposal? Because then upwork would get many more reviews on freelancers and i believe more reviews would be better than less reviews. And Upwork could always blacklist, ban or remove users that post fake reviews on freelancers. 

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
26 of 28

@Shane F wrote:

But point here is not about the existing Upwork TOC, its about whether upwork would consider allowing someone to post reviews on a freelancer who they have hired or worked with OUTSIDE of upwork.

Why on earth would Upwork consider doing such a thing? How would Upwork check that the freelancer did any work for the reviewer? If clients who hire freelancers on Upwork are posting fake reviews as you claim, why should reviews of work done outside Upwork be any more reliable?

You also wrote earlier, "2. Many upwork professional kept asking me to give them jobs over skype. Some of them seemed really keen and desparate. "

If they were truly professional, they wouldn't ask you for jobs over skype and act desperate.

27 of 28

"How would Upwork check that the freelancer did any work for the reviewer?"
If someone had submitted a fake review on your profile, would you have not reported the person? How hard is it for you as a freelancer to click on the report button ?

"If clients who hire freelancers on Upwork are posting fake reviews as you claim, why should reviews of work done outside Upwork be any more reliable?"
I did NOT say this would guarentee reliability but potential employers would get more diversity in terms of opinions and reviews. I think more diversity would be beneficial for potential employers.

"If they were truly professional, they wouldn't ask you for jobs over skype and act desperate."

This statement seems very biased. Have you actually interviewed or hired many freelancers in the past?

Why do you assume that freelancers with great skills and talents would automatically get lots of job offers, and therefore do not need to actively look for work?

Does the Upwork's search engine assure potential employers that the best freelancers they need or want would always appear on the first page of their search list?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
28 of 28

Hi Shane and others,

I would like to confirm a couple of things.

- We have no plans to implement an option to leave feedback without a completed contract on Upwork.

- Upwork official representatives have a badge showing next to their names when they post a reply on a Community thread.

Edit: Please, note that a few comments have been removed from this thread and it's been closed for further replies.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS