๐Ÿˆ Community
ยป Forums ยป Clients ยป Fake profile reviews of top freelancers?
Page options
bf1432ac
Member

Fake profile reviews of top freelancers?

I am new to upwork and since i became a registered users my upwork pages were buggy when i used IE and firefox. Now the bugs seems to be gone when using Chrome but my account was suspended because i didn't hire anyone via upwork. I couldn't really hire anyone only because my pages were buggy at the time.

 

I have worked with several TOP freelancers on upwork and their performances have NOT been very good or professional. Their reviews on the other hand, have described them as almost flawless professionals with great skills and talents. These perfect reviews seem so fake to me (speaking from experience). 

 

Eventhough i have not hired anyone through the upwork system, i have indeed worked with some of the top freelancers on upwork and have paiod them regularly via paypal.

 

Would upwork consider allowing any registered user (eg, myself) with a real profile to write an HONEST and FAIR review on a freelancer on upwork?

27 REPLIES 27
csjarmitage
Member

Just to clarify.

 

You found top rated freelancers on Upwork, hired them off platform, paid them off platform then were unhappy with their performance and now wish to leave them feedback here.  On Upwork?


@Christy A wrote:

Just to clarify.

 

You found top rated freelancers on Upwork, hired them off platform, paid them off platform then were unhappy with their performance and now wish to leave them feedback here.  On Upwork?


Don't forget continued to pay them regulary, despite the apparently terrible quality of their work.

 

Multiple freelancers. 

Please read my post CORRECTLY before commenting on it. I did NOT say i am paying regularly to the freelancers that did poorly. 

@Tiffiny S.

 

Not all freelancers did poorly, but some top freelancers were clearly not qualified or professional. I have paid regularly to some but not to all the freelancers i have hired. 

At the time when the pages were buggy i had no choice but to hire them OFF the platform. They kept asking me to update them on the job offer. 

Well, the good news is that there is a solution.

 

Once your account has been reinstated, after egregiously violating the TOS, you can rehire the terrible top-rated freelancers, pay them onsite and then you'll be able to give them honest feedback.

 

Easy peasy!

you have misread and misunderstood my posts. I have never said i wanted to rehire the terrible top freelancers again. 

 

My post is about freelancer's reviews not accurately describing the freelancers' skills and conduct, but you and some other community guru appear to be determined to misunderstand the message in my post.

 

Do you enjoy seen employers wasting time and money on upwork?

jessicasimko
Member

You found freelancers here and hired/paid them OFF the platform and you expect people to believe that you can provide HONEST reviews when you can't even work in an HONEST and ethical manner? 

 

Hahahaha... Every time I think I've seen it all, someone comes along and tops it....

You are clearly speaking on behalf of freelancers, eventhough you knew the reviews could be fake. Well done, you are the best. 

 

 


@Shane F wrote:

You are clearly speaking on behalf of freelancers, eventhough you knew the reviews could be fake. Well done, you are the best. 

 

 


How could the reviews possibly be fake? You think multiple clients colluded with more than one freelancer you've worked with to set up fake accounts, verify their information, fund and pay for projects just so they could leave fake feedback for these freelancers?

 

Side note: Since you're "new to Upwork," any special reason you've been a member of this forum for five months? 

I am simply speaking from personal experiences and i have no reason to lie about this. 

 

Is it possible that "multiple clients colluded with one clients..."?? Honest i dont know but i cannot see how the reviews accurately reflect or describe the ability and professionalism of some of the top freelancers. Again, i am speaking from my personal experience only. 

 

 

I feel if you would allow a registered user with a real profile to submit reviews, then perhaps this would provide much more information/insights for potential employers?

 

Also are freelancers allowed to hide or delete their bad reviews? 

 

 

 

 


@Shane F wrote:

 

 

I feel if you would allow a registered user with a real profile to submit reviews, then perhaps this would provide much more information/insights for potential employers?

 

 


 Registered users with a real profile are allowed to submit reviews. Simply hire someone through this site, pay that person and then you can leave a review.

 

It's that simple.

I'm a client myself. I think that hiring freelancers outside the platform doesn't serve us the best, because the freelancer will know that his -poor- work outside the platform will never reflect to his career and job history in side the platform.

 

I read all the comments and what you have said, and I encourage you not to do this again, work with freelancers ONLY within the platform, and ask them - as many as you want - to raise the quality bar of their work, and they will apply.. You know why! the will always consider that there is a possible bad feedback if they not.


I don't believe that the freelancers reviews left by other clients are less than 100% correct, each client give his feedback according to his experience with the given freelancer. There is no freelancer here or outside this platform is happy to have bad review, or wish to have one.

 

Regards

Most of the replies to my post are biased and i am not surprised to see this, since some of you do obviously work for upwork....

 

I have said in my first post that the reason why i had hired professional outside of upwork was beause:

 

1. My account was buggy when using IE and firefox, some menu items were missing or could not be displayed correctly. Also when my security answers was lost i was unable to retrieve the correct security answers immediately through an upwork customers services agent. 

 

2. Many upwork professional kept asking me to give them jobs over skype. Some of them seemed really keen and desparate. 

 

 


@Shane F wrote:

Most of the replies to my post are biased and i am not surprised to see this, since some of you do obviously work for upwork....

 

I have said in my first post that the reason why i had hired professional outside of upwork was beause:

 

1. My account was buggy when using IE and firefox, some menu items were missing or could not be displayed correctly. Also when my security answers was lost i was unable to retrieve the correct security answers immediately through an upwork customers services agent. 

 

2. Many upwork professional kept asking me to give them jobs over skype. Some of them seemed really keen and desparate. 

 

 


Does this make you honest? NO, it does not. It's an excuse to act unethically.  If I was a client experiencing problems on the website and couldn't hire anyone, I would go to support and if they couldn't help me before I needed to get my work done by someone, there would be NO doubt in my mind that I would need to find my freelancers ELSEWHERE.

 

If there is no cashier at a store, when you are ready to check out, do you just walk out of the store with what you want because... well.. you *tried* to pay but no one was there....   

 

unbelieveable.

This thread is an hallucination.

aocumen
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Shane, 

Working with and paying Upwork freelancers outside of the platform is a serious violation of the Upwork ToS. Since you did not hire these freelancers on the platform, you will be unable to give them feedback. 

 

I can see that you have an open ticket regarding an account issue. Please reply to the team so that the issue can be resolved immediately.

Avery


~ Avery
Upwork

I did reply the ticket many days ago. 

aocumen
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Shane, 


The team has sent you a reply to your most recent message. Please review the message and action on their request so that your account issue can be resolved. 


In the future, should you encounter any issues on the website, you may contact our Support Team so that they can assist you. 

Avery


~ Avery
Upwork
j_muiruri
Member

Hi, i would like to answer this question

"Would upwork consider allowing any registered user (eg, myself) with a real profile to write an HONEST and FAIR review on a freelancer on upwork?"

 

1, You are violating terms and conditions of upwork by (stealing) upwork proffesionals and paying them outside upwork.

2, Coming to your question, Upwork has considererd all registererd users to leave feedback at the end of each project. This is when you are closing the project. Both the freelancer and the client has the option to leave feedback. The mistake you are making is to hire sombody outside upwork. One can work freely unprofesional because they know you will not leave any feedback on upwork.

 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

 

Goodluck!

Oh what a tangled web we weave.....

 

And freely admitting to violation the TOC's.....oh me...oh my....

 


@Joseph G wrote:

Hi, i would like to answer this question

"Would upwork consider allowing any registered user (eg, myself) with a real profile to write an HONEST and FAIR review on a freelancer on upwork?"

 

1, You are violating terms and conditions of upwork by (stealing) upwork proffesionals and paying them outside upwork.

2, Coming to your question, Upwork has considererd all registererd users to leave feedback at the end of each project. This is when you are closing the project. Both the freelancer and the client has the option to leave feedback. The mistake you are making is to hire sombody outside upwork. One can work freely unprofesional because they know you will not leave any feedback on upwork. 

 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

 

Goodluck!


 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

 

While you are giving advice about TOS, you need to be aware you can't advertise yourself to clients on the forum.

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

All I hope is that this so-called 'client' is given his marching orders. I would hate to see some hapless freelancer come to grief after being hired by someone so unscrupulous.

But point here is not about the existing Upwork TOC, its about whether upwork would consider allowing someone to post reviews on a freelancer who they have hired or worked with OUTSIDE of upwork.

 

Upwork TOC is about Upwork's EXISTING policy, not about whether upwork would consider MODIFYING the existing policy to allow other registered users to submit their reviews. Do you understand the difference?

 

Why would upwork want to consider this proposal? Because then upwork would get many more reviews on freelancers and i believe more reviews would be better than less reviews. And Upwork could always blacklist, ban or remove users that post fake reviews on freelancers. 


@Shane F wrote:

But point here is not about the existing Upwork TOC, its about whether upwork would consider allowing someone to post reviews on a freelancer who they have hired or worked with OUTSIDE of upwork.

 


Why on earth would Upwork consider doing such a thing? How would Upwork check that the freelancer did any work for the reviewer? If clients who hire freelancers on Upwork are posting fake reviews as you claim, why should reviews of work done outside Upwork be any more reliable?

 

You also wrote earlier, "2. Many upwork professional kept asking me to give them jobs over skype. Some of them seemed really keen and desparate. "

 

If they were truly professional, they wouldn't ask you for jobs over skype and act desperate.

__________________________________________________
"No good deed goes unpunished." -- Clare Boothe Luce

 

"How would Upwork check that the freelancer did any work for the reviewer?"
If someone had submitted a fake review on your profile, would you have not reported the person? How hard is it for you as a freelancer to click on the report button ?

 

"If clients who hire freelancers on Upwork are posting fake reviews as you claim, why should reviews of work done outside Upwork be any more reliable?"
I did NOT say this would guarentee reliability but potential employers would get more diversity in terms of opinions and reviews. I think more diversity would be beneficial for potential employers.

 

"If they were truly professional, they wouldn't ask you for jobs over skype and act desperate."


This statement seems very biased. Have you actually interviewed or hired many freelancers in the past?


Why do you assume that freelancers with great skills and talents would automatically get lots of job offers, and therefore do not need to actively look for work?


Does the Upwork's search engine assure potential employers that the best freelancers they need or want would always appear on the first page of their search list?

Hi Shane and others,

 

I would like to confirm a couple of things.

 

- We have no plans to implement an option to leave feedback without a completed contract on Upwork.

 

- Upwork official representatives have a badge showing next to their names when they post a reply on a Community thread.

 

 

Edit: Please, note that a few comments have been removed from this thread and it's been closed for further replies.

~ Valeria
Upwork