cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake profiles complaint

Nitin M Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
1 of 49

Extrememly disappointed that i can't find a way of reporting this to upwork.  i'm a long time user and lately i've been seeing more and more fake freelancers show up.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Like the one above.  Advertised as a native speaker with degrees, but after being strung along for a week I come to discover that the person can barely use english and seems to be trying to scam me.  UPWORK DO SOMETHING ABOUT THESE SCAMS!

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
2 of 49

You can flag the profile as bogus.  You can also file a ticket with Customer Service.  My impression is that Upwork is becoming much more proactive in removing this profiles.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 49

I wish they had a way to flag profiles and leave a note. I don't flag them because nobody is going to go beyond looking at the profile.

This one is obviously fake, and I did get a laugh at the Princeton degree. lol Anyway, the best way to identify the frauds is to do a search on their images. With this one, you'll find it on DeviantArt under another name. 

Also time zone is wrong. Add to it that you should have chatted with him (prolly a him lol) and would have gotten the sense that they are not in the US so the profile is a fake.

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
4 of 49

@Jennifer M wrote:

I wish they had a way to flag profiles and leave a note. I don't flag them because nobody is going to go beyond looking at the profile.

+1

Community Guru
Samantha S Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
5 of 49

I think this is why a lot of clients require a phone or video chat before they hire. As a freelancer, I was surprised that some of my early clients wanted to do this and even more surprised that the chat lasted about 10 minutes on average. That seemed a little short compared to a traditional interview. I realized why when one client on video chat comments, "What a relief, you look like the person in your profile picture."

It turned out she ran into one of the scam profiles where the freelancer copied everything from a few LinkedIn accounts and another online portfolio platform. There were signs that made the client cautious like the written English in the chat demonstrated poorer English skills than used on the profile and writing samples.

This is the first I learned of this as I was pretty new. But now I see quite a few iffy profiles. I am glad Upwork started verifying, though it will take them a while to catch up on existing profiles.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
6 of 49

HI Nitin,

Thank you for reporting, I'll forward the information you provided to the team and they will review the freelancer and take appropriate actions.

As others mentioned on this thread we at Upwork realize that fake and fraud profiles are a serious problem for the marketplace. That's why we have recently started some programs intended to verify the information freelancers provide on their profiles. See this thread for more information.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Yogesh K Member Since: Aug 9, 2018
7 of 49

Hi Valeria,

On a Serious note, I want to report a **Edited for community guidelines** here on your portal. If we search for it on Google or **Edited for community guidelines** but when we look here on **Edited for community guidelines**  Also, The lady which profile they have put here is not a Technical Person at all. I request you to take needful action.
Thanks

Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
8 of 49

Hi Yogesh,

Well, it's against TOS to put links to profiles, so they'll erase them.
I've arrived before this and from what I've seen, is a person with a good history of work and good reviews.
Regarding the name of the agency, I guess it does not have to be the same or with the same name that appears on Linkedin. I do not know much about this but, I suppose you have she has created an agency to work in Upwork.
The company that appears on Linkedin may be one in which she works normally.
Someone will appear to correct me if I'm wrong Smiley Happy

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
9 of 49

Hi Yogesh,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, our team is looking into this and will review the information and will take action as per our internal processes.

You can also use the flag option found on each job post to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Here's the help article for more information.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Nils L Member Since: Feb 14, 2017
10 of 49

I have used UpWork a LOT, but it appears the platform has been compromised with fake profiles and agencies claiming to be individuals. Apparently the verification process is flawed. Of the last 5/5 people we have contacted, they are all not who they say they are.  They make it very difficult to mark a profile as bogus, where if you use the 'thumbs down' it simply goes away, or if you decline and write a response, its also simply dropped from you list.  5 years ago it was 98% real people.  Based on interviews this week, its nearly 90% fake profiles and agencies now.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS