Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake profiles complaint

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
11 of 49

@Nils L wrote:

I have used UpWork a LOT, but it appears the platform has been compromised with fake profiles and agencies claiming to be individuals. Apparently the verification process is flawed. Of the last 5/5 people we have contacted, they are all not who they say they are.  They make it very difficult to mark a profile as bogus, where if you use the 'thumbs down' it simply goes away, or if you decline and write a response, its also simply dropped from you list.  5 years ago it was 98% real people.  Based on interviews this week, its nearly 90% fake profiles and agencies now.

Where do you get these figures from?

There are hundreds and thousands of freelancers on the site who are not fraudulent, so your statement seems a little sweeping.

There are also many fraudulent clients - but I know that the percentage (globally) cannot be anything like as high as 90%.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
12 of 49

Nils:

Although your estimate may be imprecise, your frustration is justified. No matter how small a percent it is, there ARE many thousands of fraudulent profiles on Upwork. Upwork has begun some extensive efforts to verify people's identities using live video chats with Upwork personnel. This and other measures will hopefully diminish this problem.

Ethan E Member Since: Jul 4, 2018
13 of 49

Not True.  I have used Upwork since the beginning and I am finding that recently, that 90% figure is accurate.  And who has time to weed out these fake accounts.  This should be the responsibility of Upwork but they are getting paid on the work done by the fake dev accounts so they don't care. 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
14 of 49

@Nils L wrote:

I have used UpWork a LOT, but it appears the platform has been compromised with fake profiles and agencies claiming to be individuals. Apparently the verification process is flawed. Of the last 5/5 people we have contacted, they are all not who they say they are.  They make it very difficult to mark a profile as bogus, where if you use the 'thumbs down' it simply goes away, or if you decline and write a response, its also simply dropped from you list.  5 years ago it was 98% real people.  Based on interviews this week, its nearly 90% fake profiles and agencies now.

yeah, if I was a client, I would definitely chat with people first. Sounds like you got the frauds out of the way with the chat. If I was dumping a lot of money into something, I'd ask for a skype chat and do a good review/background check of the portfolio.

All the terrible fake profiles that post here. I can only imagine how many of them there are from people who at least have half a brain not to post here.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
15 of 49

re: "I can only imagine how many of them there are from people who at least have half a brain not to post here."

Because we're mean to them.

(in a good, vigilante justice way)

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
16 of 49

I always think I'm pretty nice to them compared to what I really want to tell them.

Nils L Member Since: Feb 14, 2017
17 of 49

When I started using the platform many years ago, I rarely ran into fake profiles.

Now the last 10/10 were fake.  I agree overall there are ‘real’ people, but it feels UpWork has let this one run away further than they can control.

Today we called someone and it was an Asian call center that patched us to a native person in the country they said they were from.  So they are getting much more sophisticated about their methods of verification, which I can tell would make it much harder for you to verify accounts.

I love the platform, or did, but I can’t figure out how to use it anymore when it appears to be so rampantly overrun with agencies and bad actors.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
18 of 49

Nils, can't do much about an agency pretending to be an individual, but I would think many, if not most fakes have little or no work history or earnings, so if you eliminate those and go with top rated or at least 80% job success, I think you'll have better luck.

19 of 49

@John K wrote:

Nils, can't do much about an agency pretending to be an individual, but I would think many, if not most fakes have little or no work history or earnings, so if you eliminate those and go with top rated or at least 80% job success, I think you'll have better luck.

I agree with John, and also suggest that you make sure your budget is reasonable. 

Ace Contributor
Danny M Member Since: Feb 6, 2017
20 of 49

That would be a convenience for top rated freelancers and the clients, but what about new freelancers?

I love. I hate. I'm nice. I'm scary. I'm religious. I'm agnostic. I'M HUMAN.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS